Seattle Pacific University has established various grievance procedures for different types of discrimination, harassment and other misconduct complaints. These procedures are intended to promote a safe and healthy working and learning environment and to comply with applicable laws. The list below briefly describes each procedure, and each individual procedure states more specifically the scope and elements of such procedure, including if and how a formal complaint may be filed. Official policies and procedures are hosted in Wiki Institutional Policy space.
- Title IX Sexual Harassment Grievance Process (TSHGP): This is the applicable procedure for individuals who are participating in or attempting to participate in SPU education programs or activities (e.g., students, employees, student applicants, and employee applicants) to file formal complaints alleging sexual harassment that are subject the rules of 34 CFR 106.45.
- Student Sexual Misconduct Policy (SMP): This policy contains the applicable procedure for undergraduate and graduate students to file formal complaints alleging sexual misconduct (as defined in the SMP) that is committed by other SPU students and that is not subject to the TSHGP.
- Student Accountability Process: This process is used to examine alleged violations of Student Standards of Conduct by undergraduate students and is managed by the Office of Student Life. It may be used, for example, when there are alleged acts of discrimination or harassment by one student against another that are not subject to other SPU grievance procedures. Students may report alleged conduct violations, but there is not a formal role for complainants in the accountability process.
- Discrimination and Harassment Grievance Procedure (DHGP): The DHGP is the applicable procedure for formal complaints against employees in violation of SPU’s nondiscrimination policy that are not subject to the TSHGP.
- Anti-Bullying Complaint Procedure: Employees may make formal complaints alleging conduct in violation of SPU’s Anti-Bullying Policy pursuant to this procedure.