Course Processes

If you need to add, revise or inactivate a course or courses, follow the instructions below to enable the change to happen in a timely manner.

Approval process for new courses

  • Submit a course change form in CourseLeaf Course Inventory Management within specified deadlines for the upcoming academic year.
  • Your request will be forwarded for review and approval to the Department Chair, College Dean, Director of General Education or Director of Writing (if pertinent), Department Chairs of other departments you identify, and Curriculum Committee.
  • The submitter of the request is notified of the decisions/actions of the Curriculum Committee.
  • Student Academic Services will add new courses to Banner once approved, with the assistance of an automated process.

Changing or inactivating a course

Remember the impact this change may have on students already admitted to your major(s) or on other departments that may also rely on a specific course for their major requirements. Once a course has been inactivated for a particular academic year, you can no longer offer a section of it.

Course restrictions

A student may not be able to register for a specific course for a variety of reasons, including specific major or level restrictions or prerequisite requirements.

Because restrictions and prerequisites are placed on classes at the request of the school or department, students must request an exception from either the instructor or the department. Find out about Registration Error Help.

Cross-curriculum approval

Within the course change form in CourseLeaf Course Inventory Management, you will be asked to identify any other departments/schools whose courses or programs may be impacted by the course change you are making. Your completion of this field will prompt a workflow through which the other department(s) receive notification and give approval.

This automated process is not intended to take the place of conversations with colleagues in other departments before you request changes in CourseLeaf.

CUE, WE, and WK request forms

You will be able to request course attributes within the environment of the CourseLeaf form. No separate attachments are necessary.

Detail Codes

If pertinent, begin the process of obtaining detail codes in early September before you submit your proposal in CourseLeaf. Detail codes are necessary when revenue for a program needs to be tracked separately from that of other programs in a department, and when a program includes courses with special fees. It is critically important to notify the Office of Institutional Research of the newly assigned detail code so they can update the registration statistics report to reflect this newly tracked code/program.


Courses may be set up for which students must obtain faculty or department permission prior to registering for a course. You or an administrative assistant can enter the permission override into Banner, allowing a student to register online. Find out more about permissions.

Requesting the W Attribute

You must seek permission from the Director of Campus Writing if you want a course to have the W attribute. The process for seeking approval is outlined in the CourseLeaf form.

Schedule Type

A schedule type is a three-character code:

  • The first character is a unique code denotes the class’ delivery type such as lecture or lab.
  • The second character determines whether the class is considered “Regular (organized) class (R)” or “Individual instruction (I).”
  • The third character indicates whether the section is counted toward “Faculty load” (L), or does not count toward faculty load” (N).
  • Choose the schedule type(s), and indicate the primary type if there is more than one. The Office of Institutional Research uses this information for University reporting.
  • Schedule Type Chart. (Excel file)

SAS staff directory

A full list of Student Academic Services staff — academic counselors, operations staff, and technical staff — in one convenient place.

A view of SPU

Catalog/Time Schedule

Need to know when a course is scheduled? Need info about a major or program? Find the answers in the Catalog and Time Schedule.