FAQ: Drop from a Class

Policy for withdrawing from a class

  • A withdrawal from a course during the first week of the quarter will not appear on the transcript.
  • A withdrawal from a course during weeks two through seven of the quarter will be noted with a “W” on the transcript.
  • No withdrawals are accepted after the seventh week of the quarter.
  • If a student does not provide proper written notification to Student Academic Services, financial obligations will remain binding, regardless of whether classes were attended or whether any contracted services were utilized.
  • If a student does not withdraw from a course by the end of the seventh week of the quarter, but stops attending the course, the student will receive the grade earned.
  • Should the student desire to complete the course during a future quarter, the student will be required to register and pay the current tuition for the course.
  • After the tenth day of the quarter, the student must obtain the required permissions to drop from a course. 

Administrative withdrawals

Student Academic Services will administratively withdraw a student from a course due to one of the following circumstances:

  • The course was cancelled and all enrolled students needed to be withdrawn.
  • The student did not meet the prerequisite after grades were submitted at the end of the prior quarter.
  • The student is repeating a course for a second time and has not received instructor permission to stay in the class.

If you know you’ll miss the first class, notify the instructor not only to let him or her know that you still plan to attend, but also to catch up on work that you may miss.

Administrative withdrawals requested by SFS

Student Financial Services has the right to have a student completely withdrawn from classes due to an unpaid balance.

Demaray Hall

Registration questions

Have a registration question? Check out our registration resources, email sasinfo@spu.edu, call 206-281-2031, or visit the SAS office in Demaray Hall 151.

Alexander hall

Need a form? Find it here.

From an “Application for Graduation” to a “Transcript Request,” and much more, academic forms are here.