Studying Away from SPU

You may wish to take a class or classes away from SPU after the point of your initial matriculation (enrollment) at SPU for several reasons. Before enrolling in and paying for non-SPU classes, please be sure you are aware of the academic policies and procedures that may impact your plans to study away. Before you take classes away from SPU, you must always check with your academic counselor.

Study Away Inside the U.S.

  • Time away from SPU to take classes from another American college or university.
  • Credit must be awarded by a regionally accredited, degree-granting institution in order to be transferrable.
  • Students are not permitted to take classes at both SPU and another school during the same quarter during the regular academic year (Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters).

Study Away Outside the U.S.

  • Time away from SPU to take classes at an international institution through a study abroad experience.
  • The option includes programs hosted by SPU or organized by third-party organizations.
  • Study abroad experiences are generally exempt from otherwise standard limitations on transferrable credit unless otherwise noted.

Leave of Absence

  • Taking time away from SPU without completing any coursework through another institution.

Academic counselor appointments

Make your appointment by using the scheduling link in your academic counselor’s profile. You can also call our office at 206-281-2031 or stop the front desk of Demaray Hall 151.

Transfer policies

For a complete list of transfer policies, visit the SPU Undergraduate Catalog. Choose the year of your admission >> Admissions Section >> Transfer Credits.