Certification and Credit for Military Training


SPU can only certify current, admitted students who are pursuing a full undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, or graduate degree program. Students attending SPU as a non-matriculated student may need special permission to receive education benefits.

  • If you make any schedule changes (i.e., course adds, course withdrawals) or major/minor updates, you must notify your certifying official, Kay Knierim, at kknierim@spu.edu, so that she may update the VA of your changes.
  • If you or your VA advisor needs your academic plan, please request one from your undergraduate academic counselor or your graduate program coordinator.

Credit for Military Training

College credit for military training is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. To receive credit for training, an official transcript should be sent to Seattle Pacific University.

Currently, the University evaluates initial entry training (e.g., basic combat training in the Army) with three credits of elective physical education (PE). More advanced training is evaluated based on its congruence to courses offered at Seattle Pacific University.

For more specific details, contact Student Academic Services to make an appointment with your academic counselor. To request an official transcript for your military training, you can visit the sites below:


Academic counselor appointments

Make your appointment by using the scheduling link in your academic counselor’s profile. You can also call our office at 206-281-2031 or stop the front desk of Demaray Hall 151.

A view of SPU

Catalog/Time Schedule

Need to know when a course is scheduled? Need info about a major or program? Find the answers in the Catalog and Time Schedule.