Response Online


Table of Contents

To submit a Footnotes item,

fill out our contact form or email We publish items we receive in the first available issue.

Footnotes: In Memoriam

TERESA “TERRI” RAYMOND ALLEN ’91 died of breast cancer October 26, 2010, at the age of 49. Born in Cordova, Alaska, she majored in nursing at SPU. In 2005, the mobile health care professional received the Traveler of the Year Award for her exemplary work on short-term assignment at a number of different health care facilities. Smitten with breast cancer in 2000, she promised herself that she would go into “travel” nursing when she got to the 24-month, “free-and-clear” mark. Her assignments included the 253-bed St. Joseph Hospital in Bellingham, Washington, where she worked with mothers postpartum and geriatric patients with dementia. Terri also spent time as a disaster relief health care volunteer for the Red Cross. In recent years she settled in Juneau to work in the labor and delivery department of Bartlett Hospital. She is survived by a daughter, a son, a granddaughter, her parents, and a sister.


The Power of Literature


Beloved Seattle Pacific University English professor from 1958 to 1992, Arthur Leon Arksey introduced students to the great works of English and American literature. He died March 25, 2011.

Leon was born in Toronto on October 28, 1926. Raised by missionary parents in Mozambique, East Africa, he received early education at home via correspondence. After graduating from high school in Germiston, South Africa, he studied one year in Johannesburg before returning to the U.S. with his parents and completing his undergraduate education at Greenville College in Illinois. He then earned a master’s degree in English at the University of Illinois under the mentorship and teaching of his uncle, Professor Arthur Secord.

Leon’s teaching career began at Whitworth College, where he met future wife, Laura, and culminated in a 33-year career in the classrooms of Seattle Pacific.

The annual Arksey Essay Contest continues to reward students for writing good critical and creative essays. For years, Laura provided dedicated service for the Library as bibliographic specialist in humanities and religions.

Music, travel, skiing, and hiking were among his pastimes, and Leon served two semesters as a visiting professor for Semester at Sea (then called World Campus Afloat). After retirement, the Arkseys moved to Spokane, Washington, where he served on the board of the Spokane String Quartet and became active in church work and historic preservation efforts.

Leon is survived by Laura, two daughters, a son, two grandchildren, three step-grandchildren, and a sister. Read a former student’s poem written in tribute to Leon, and share your memories.


ROBERT BLUMENTHAL, former SPU business professor, died October 23, 2010, at the age of 81. He finished strong, inspiring, publishing, and leading an active life to the end. Robert arrived on campus in 1979 at the same time as Joe Hope, the first dean of the new School of Business and Economics. Many of his former students, now leaders in Seattle business and technology firms, continue to hold him in high esteem. Robert is survived by his wife, Patty; a daughter; two sons, including JAMES BLUMENTHAL ’85, married to YVONNE LASSEGUES BLUMENTHAL ’85; and three grandchildren.

CYNTHIA “CINDY” BURRIS ’96 died February 27, 2011, at the age of 37. Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, she was a professor of theology at Anderson University. An SPU graduate with honors in religion and political science, she graduated from Duke University with a master’s degree in divinity. She then pursued a doctoral degree at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland. Cindy taught theology at Anderson University until her chronic illness became so severe she needed rest. For the last three years of her life, she lived in Indio, California, and participated in worship at Las Palmas Community Church. All her life, Cindy pursued church, friendships, academics, and vigorous debate with joy. She is survived by her parents, a brother, two nieces, and a nephew.

RICHARD “DICK” FARRINGTON CC ’50 died February 15, 2011, at the age of 84. Born in Portland, Oregon, he served in the U.S. Navy. A serviceman at only 17 years of age, he served during World War II and was present at the raising of the American flag following the battle of Iwo Jima. After graduation from Cascade College, he earned a master’s degree and his principal’s credentials from Oregon College of Education. Dick taught and was principal in Lebanon, Oregon, public schools until his retirement in 1984. He built a family cabin at the Oregon coast in 1962 and enjoyed singing, baseball, and fishing. A devoted member of the Lebanon Church of the Nazarene, he also joined The Gideons International and the Confederation of Oregon School Principals. Dick is survived by his wife of 63 years, three daughters, two sons, 14 grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren, four sisters, and a brother.

VIRGINIA HEACOCK HELM ’40 died January 14, 2011, at the age of 91. Born in Portland, Oregon, she was a bold and spirited child, creative and full of fun. From George Fox College and Seattle Pacific College, she earned her teaching credentials, and both accorded her alumni honors. She led a fruitful teaching career at the elementary school level in Portland and in Vancouver, Washington. In 1971, Virginia was named Oregon State Mother of the Year. Active in the community, she was president of the PTA, led a Campfire Girls chapter, and tutored English as a second language. A polished speaker, she addressed women’s retreats and conventions on topics of social and spiritual concern. She wrote letters and cards of encouragement to family and friends worldwide; visited the elderly and disabled; and was active in the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union, where she served in Oregon state leadership. Proud of her Quaker heritage, she led Sunday school, youth groups, Bible studies, and camps in the Friends Church, and was elected president of Friends Women’s Ministries for the Pacific Northwest. In retirement, she and her husband served 10 years as missionaries in Botswana, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Haiti, and Kenya. For years she lived in a 1949 log house in Portland that was on the list of Historical and Architecturally Significant Homes. Virginia is survived by a daughter, CORAL HELM HUGHES ’70; a son; a granddaughter; a grandson; a great-granddaughter; and a great-grandson.

GEORGE JOHNSON ’38 died March 13, 2011, at the age of 98. The country’s oldest working real estate agent worked six hours a day until six weeks before his death. A member of the National Association of Realtors for more than 75 years, the owner of George W. Johnson Realtors still drove himself to his Ballard, Washington, office each day. In 2007, the local media dubbed him “The Oracle of Ballard.” Born in Wessington, South Dakota, the year the Titanic sank (1912), George grew up helping with the family homestead. He was recruited in the mid-'30s from a small Free Methodist college in South Dakota by Seattle Pacific President C. Hoyt Watson. To pay for tuition, he rose every morning at 4 a.m. to work as the school baker. His parents followed him to Seattle and in 1936, George and his father started a dairy farm in North Seattle. After graduation, George delivered milk each morning before going to his other job as an elementary school teacher. Soon after, the life-long member of Seattle’s First Free Methodist Church mailed in $5 for a license and became an early pioneer in the nation’s fledgling real estate industry. When did he have time to sell homes? In the evenings, of course. George is survived by four children, including JAMES JOHNSON ’58, JOYBELLE JOHNSON ERICKS ’61, and ROBERT JOHNSON ’67; three step-children; 11 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; and six great-great-grandchildren.

ELLEN MADDOX ’43 died January 13, 2011, at the age of ’91. Born one of 11 children near Port, Oklahoma, she moved from Oklahoma to Colorado to Kansas to Washington. After receiving her teaching credentials, she spent her first year teaching at Pleasant Hill, New Mexico. She went on to earn a master’s degree in English and spent 27 years as a Colorado high school librarian. Following retirement from that position, she taught another six years as a substitute. A member of Greeley (Colorado) Wesleyan Church for more than 20 years, she served as a Sunday school teacher, led Bible studies, sang in the choir, and led songs in worship. Ellen is survived by three sisters and numerous nieces and nephews. She is preceded in death by her parents, four brothers, and three sisters.

DONALD MASON ’66 died January 28, 2011, at the age of 66. Born in Durango, Colorado, he served with the U.S. Army in the Vietnam War before returning to Seattle Pacific to complete his undergraduate degree. After receiving a call to ministry in 1977, he earned a degree from Nazarene Theological Seminary and took his first pastorate at Hill Top Church of the Nazarene in Astoria, Oregon. Donald went on to serve as a senior pastor at Nazarene churches in Fairfield, California, and Nampa, Idaho, and he was a minister in the Nazarene church until his retirement in 2001. In death, he was remembered with military honors provided by members of the Idaho Army National Guard. Donald is survived by his wife, a daughter, a son, three grandchildren, his father, and two brothers.

JACK MAYEDA ’56 died December 1, 2010, at the age of 79. Born in Othello, Washington, he and his family escaped the forced internment of Japanese Americans during World War II because their home sat one mile east of the detention boundary. He joined the U.S. Army during the Korean War and served three years in Hokkaido, Japan. With an undergraduate degree from Seattle Pacific, and a master’s degree from Santa Clara University, he became the first national youth director of the Japanese American Citizens League and inspired young people to work on behalf of civil rights for Japanese Americans. He went on to become a middle school principal, high school assistant principal and dean, and the administrator of the San Mateo Adult School. In 2001, in need of a kidney, he was judged too old to be on the transplant waiting list. Against great odds, Jack was saved by his wife, Nancy, a retired school principal, who was a donor match. For seven years they traveled the world, marveling in the gift they had been given. The Jack Mayeda Library at his wife’s Rooftop K–8 School in San Francisco is named in his honor. Jack is survived by his wife, a daughter, two granddaughters, two sisters, and a brother.

HOWARD RATHVON ’59 died March 26, 2011, at the age of 81. Born in Birdsview, Washington, he served in the U.S. Army before taking classes at Dallas Theological Seminary. He retired from driving trucks for Roadway Express Inc. in 2000. He loved the Lord and Bible study and was involved with a Christian literature ministry in retirement. Howard is survived by his wife of 55 years; three children, five grandchildren, two sisters, and five brothers.

ROWENA COLEMAN RICHARDSON M.A. ’73 died on November 4, 2010, at the age of 82. Born in Grand Junction, Colorado, she graduated high school at the age of 16 and attended Colorado A&M College. She embarked on a 42-year education career with her husband, James, who remained by her side for 58 years. Rowena taught in five states and lived the adventure provided by her better half’s employment in the National Park Service. She not only taught every grade from first through eighth (except second), she was also an elementary school vice principal and principal. She retired in 1991 to Skyland Limousin Ranch, where the Richardsons raised cattle. Rowena is survived by a daughter, a son, and four grandchildren.

CHARLES ROYBAL M.ED. ’63 died May 21, 2010, at the age of 81. Born in Boulder, Colorado, Charles became a passionate teacher at Kent (Washington) Meridian High School and Green River Community College in Auburn, Washington. He loved music, art, and ministry with Spanish-speakers. He is survived by his wife, Mary; two daughters; two sons; three grandchildren; seven sisters, including GENEVIEVE ROYBAL DAVIS ’79; and a brother.

LARRY THOMAS ’56 died December 11, 2010, at the age of 77. Born in Yakima, Washington, he attended Bob Jones University before transferring to Seattle Pacific. The year after graduation, he married his high school sweetheart and was drafted into the U.S. Army. They moved to Baltimore where Larry entered the Army’s Counterintelligence Training Program. He studied the Russian language for 47 weeks and was deployed to Stuttgart and Munich, Germany. After the Army, they returned to the States and Larry started his 27-year teaching career, spent mostly in the Mukilteo (Washington) School District. The last few years of that career was spent as a P.E. teacher. The Thomases celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 2007. Larry, who will be remembered for his compassion and faith, is survived by his wife, three daughters, one son, and nine grandchildren.

WILLIAM WALTER ’51 died November 10, 2010, at the age of 81. Born in Asotin County, Washington, William graduated from Queen Anne High School and went on from Seattle Pacific College to earn a master’s degree from the University of Washington. A math teacher at Seattle’s Sharples Junior High School and Roosevelt High School, he enjoyed the beach and hiking, and was an avid folk dancer. He is survived by a sister and two nieces.

FORREST WILEY ’48 died December 30, 2010, at the age of 94. A graduate of Central College in McPherson, Kansas, and of Seattle Pacific, he was a pastor in the Missouri Conference of the Free Methodist Church before transferring to what was then known as the Washington Conference (Pacific Northwest) in 1947.The towns in which he ministered include Burlington, Hoquiam, Port Angeles, Quincy, and Vancouver, B.C. After retirement in 1981, he continued to work as an evangelist for the denomination. He and his wife, Darlene, were married 67 years. He is survived by his wife, three sons, and a number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Multitalented Music Man


Two months after Carl Reed ’51 was born in Star, Idaho, on July 8, 1925, his father was dead of Rocky Mountain Fever. With the aid of family and church friends, single mom Elva Reed raised her boys during the Depression.

A graduate of Star High School, Carl was drafted and assigned to the Army Air Corps as an air traffic controller in Okinawa, Japan. Discharged from the Army in 1946, he completed college on the G.I. Bill. With a degree from Seattle Pacific College, he later earned a doctorate in music from the University of Washington.

Carl joined the music faculty of Seattle Pacific in 1957, the start of a career that spanned 34 years. Adept at playing several instruments, including harpsichord and trumpet, Carl also directed several ensembles, including the Madrigal Singers, the Chorale, and the Collegium Musicum. In 1977, he was named first director of the newly formed School of Fine and Performing Arts, and later became its dean.

Carl and his wife, Marcia, were faithful members of Seattle’s Woodland Park Presbyterian church. Following his retirement, they enjoyed many road trips and Elderhostel excursions. Carl also taught two Semester at Sea sessions in exotic locations.

Marcia, a cataloguer and bibliographic specialist for the fine arts in the SPU Library, died in
2009 and Carl on April 13, 2011. At his memorial service, it was noted what a wonderful father, grandfather, uncle, and friend he had been to many.

He is survived by a son, a daughter, three grandchildren, and a great-granddaughter. Share your memories of Carl.

Share your memories

If you have a remembrance of Professor Arksey or Professor Reed, please share it here.

  • Dean Suzuki '76, Associate Professor of Music, San Francisco State University

    Posted October 3, 2011, at 1:25 p.m.

    Dr. Reed was my most ardent champion, advocate, and mentor as a music major, and for that I am forever grateful. He was gracious, kind and encouraging. He even set up an independent study project, of his own initiative, in lieu of his 20th Century Music course (which has since become my specialty area), as he knew that I already knew most of the course material.

    Here was a man and educator who had his students' best interest at heart, going the extra mile. Over the past few years, I tracked Dr. Reed down, which proved more difficult that I would have imagined, and made numerous attempts to visit him when I was in Seattle. Year after year, it was not possible, as his loving wife, Marcia, ever protective, told me that his health was quite fragile and he was unable to receive guests. However, we exchanged a few emails and I found him to be in very good spirits.

    Finally, a couple of years ago, his health had improved enough that I was able to visit the Reed's at their home in Mukilteo. What a joy to catch up and reminisce after all of these years. I feel blessed that I had the opportunity thank him for all that he had done for me, establishing a solid foundation in knowledge of music history and helping chart my course as a professor of music history after his example. I was very sad to learn of both Carl's and Marica's passing. Dr. Carl Reed was as fine a man and advocate for students as I encountered as either an undergraduate or graduate student. His contributions to SPU will be sorely missed.


    Peter D. Balch '77

    Posted October 1, 2011, at 1:09 p.m.

    I was struck by dual memorials in the Autumn 2011 issue of two of my college professors, Carl Reed and Leon Arksey, who each died within weeks of the other. The other linkage that we all shared was having been voyagers on the World Campus Afloat program (now Semester at Sea). I first heard about WCA in Prof. Arksey's literature class and attended at least one informational session, with slides, at his and Laura's home. I was encouraged to enroll in this around-the-world semester in the Fall of 1972, which is the same first voyage that Dr. Reed and his family were part of. I was in Dr. Reed's International Music class onboard and learned to appreciate many different genres of world music for the first time. I am sad to learn of their passing. Thanks to the Response for the tributes to these fine academicians.

    Garry Morgan '73

    Posted September 27, 2011, at 9:32 a.m.

    Carl Reed opened my ears and eyes to the world of classical music in his Music Appreciation class. I loved listening to him play the harpsichord. I was so fascinated, the following year, as a 20-year-old, I began studying piano with Carl.