Spring 2007 | Volume 30, Number 1
|Response Bible Literacy Quiz
1. When God made the first man, he blew into his
2. What was the sign given to Noah that dry land was nearby?
a. A rainbow
b. The Stigmata
c. A dove with an olive branch
d. His wife became pregnant
3. Abraham and Sarah named their baby Isaac, which means:
a. God’s promise
4. Joseph __________________
a. had a vision of a ladder to heaven.
b. slept with Potiphar’s wife.
c. was sold into slavery.
d. sought reconciliation with his brother Esau.
5. Which of these Old Testament women was not named as a prophet?
c. Isaiah’s wife
6. Who killed an Egyptian and hid the body?
7. Moses was given the Ten Commandments on which mountain?
8. In him we live and move and have our ___________. (Acts 17:28)
9. Israel’s first king was
10. Bathsheba’s husband, who was sent into battle to be killed, was named
11. In the desert, Elijah was fed by
d. none of the above
12. God asked the prophet _____ to marry a prostitute named ___________.
a. Mulder | Scully
b. David | Bathsheba
c. Hosea | Gomer
d. Elijah | Rebekah
13. In Psalm 23, the psalmist concludes, “Surely _____________________ will follow me all the days of my life … .”
a. goodness and mercy
b. my friends and my enemies
c. the Holy Spirit
14. Which of these common sayings is not found in the Book of Proverbs?
a. “Pride goes before destruction.”
b. “A soft answer turns away wrath.”
c. “God helps those who help themselves.”
d. “Train your children in the right way, and when old, they will not stray.”
15. True or false: Before Satan afflicted Job with catastrophes, he obtained God’s permission.
16. King Belshazzar’s feast was interrupted by
a. a voice from heaven.
b. a disembodied hand writing on the wall.
c. a lion.
d. Daniel’s defiant prayer.
17. Pilate was
a. a king who condemned Jesus to death.
b. a Pharisee who condemned Jesus to death.
c. a Roman governor who wanted to release Jesus.
d. none of the above.
18. __________ and it shall be given you; _________ and ye shall find; ___________ and it shall be opened unto you. (Matthew 7:7)
a. Seek | look | knock
b. Seek | hunt | shout
c. Ask | hunt | inquire
d. Ask | seek | knock
19. The book of Luke was addressed to
c. Joseph of Arimathea
d. None of the above
20. Who saw the vision of a large sheet coming down from heaven fill with animals?
21. An epistle is
a. a book recalling the events of Christ’s life.
b. a letter addressed to churches.
c. a book of poetry.
d. a book of symbolic language.
22. Which of these is not specified in Ephesians as part of “the whole armor of God”?
a. The helmet of good works
b. The belt of truth
c. The shield of faith
d. The sword of the spirit
23. What is Paul’s concern in the letter to Philemon?
a. A runaway slave.
b. An argument with Barnabas.
c. The dangers of wealth.
d. How he survived a shipwreck.
24. From Revelation 21:1–2: “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I, John, saw __________________ coming down from God out of heaven….”
a. the holy city, the new Jerusalem
b. the whore of Babylon
c. Elijah and Elisha
d. the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world
Answers: 1. c; 2. c; 3. d; 4. c; 5. b; 6. b; 7. Mount Sinai; 8. a; 9. d; 10. a; 11. a; 12. c; 13. a; 14. c; 15. true; 16. b; 17. c; 18. d; 19. a; 20. a; 21. b; 22. a; 23. a; 24. a
Back to the top
Back to Features Home
from the president
Embracing the Christian Story
SPU President Philip Eaton asks what would happen if the Bible were at the center of the learning enterprise.
SPU President Philip Eaton joined a historic delegation of U.S. university presidents that visited Asia.
Coffee as Change Agent?
Pura Vida employees, including several SPU alumni, engage the culture using a social-venture business model.
books, film, & music
Jennifer Maier, poet and SPU associate professor of English, receives a literary award for her first book.
National Tournament Returns
For the first time in 10 years, SPU hosts the USA Gymnastics Women's Collegiate Championship.
Undone by the Word
Response writer Kathy Henning shares her journey to know the Bible better.
Class of 1973 alumna Jill Ingram introduces Response readers to “Pink Emperors.”