From the President







  My Response

  Letters to the Editor

  Online Bulletin Board

  Contact Response

  Submit Footnote

  Submit Letter to Editor

  Address Change

  Back Issues

  Response Home

  SPU Home

Autumn 2003 | Volume 26, Number 4 | Footnotes

In Memoriam

Emeritus Professor Helped SPU Gain National Accreditation in Music
WAYNE BALCH, professor emeritus of music, died August 12, 2003. He was 82 years old.

Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Wayne attended Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois, earning an undergraduate degree in music with a choral and organ emphasis. He went on to earn a master’s degree in music from the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago.

During his 40-year academic career, Wayne taught at Monmouth College, Lindenwood College and North Park College (now University). He came to SPC in 1966 as director of the Music Department. He retired from Seattle Pacific in 1985.

Even as a 15-year-old, Wayne was a church organist and minister of music. As an adult, he played for churches in Minnesota, Illinois and Missouri. In Washington, he played for Seattle’s First Free Meth-odist Church. Wayne also traveled extensively with his college choirs, including a six-week European and Scandinavian tour in 1966. During that tour, his choir was invited to sing before the King of Sweden.

Upon his retirement, the SPU Board of Trustees wrote: “In a lifelong commitment to Christian higher education, Wayne Harwood Balch has invested his outstanding organizational skills in a variety of assignments, settings and institutions. The music program at SPU has received national recognition through accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Music during his tenure as director of the School of Music. … A deep Christian commitment and testimony have always been his hallmark character trait.”

Wayne is survived by his wife of 57 years, Dorothy; one daughter; one son; and four grandchildren.

MARIANNE DESOUZA BARDEN ’00 died May 20, 2003, of lymphoma. She was 43 years old. Born in Seattle, Marianne moved to Hawaii after her graduation from high school and later to Alaska. In 1994, she married Bob Barden, and they made their home in Bow, Washington. Despite health problems and following a kidney transplant, Marianne enrolled at SPU, graduating magna cum laude with a degree in psychology. She went on to work with special-needs children. Marianne is survived by her husband, a brother and three sisters.

WENDELL BECKWITH ’50 died July 21, 2003, at the age of 78. The youngest of five children, Wendell grew up on a farm in Southwestern Washington and attended the Centralia Free Methodist Church. In 1944, he was drafted into the U.S. Army, serving for two years in the Pacific. Returning home, Wendell enrolled at SPC in 1946. He and JUNE MITCHELL ’50 were married shortly after their graduation in June 1950. A member of the American Institute of Architects, Wendell was a principal partner in the Bellevue, Washington, firm of Beckwith/Spangler Architects for 40 years. His architectural stamp can still be seen today on the more than 300 churches he designed — as well as upon SPU campus buildings such as McKinley, Moyer and Peterson halls. His firm also did much of the architectural work at Warm Beach Camp in Stanwood, Washington. Wendell served on the Free Methodist mission board for 20 years, taking seven trips to Africa as well as to Haiti, Mexico and Europe. At the Class of 1950 reunion in 2000, Wendell and June received Medallion Awards for outstanding contributions to their professions, church, community and alma mater. Wendell is survived by his wife; four sons; 11 grandchildren; and three siblings, including MILDRED BECKWITH HARLESS ’43.

NELLIE MAE PIKE BENNETT ’55 died March 18, 2003, at the age of 80. Born in Kent, Washington, Nellie Mae married Robert Bennett in 1943. After graduating from SPC, she earned a master’s degree from the University of Oregon and became an elementary school teacher and speech therapist for the Mercer Island (Washington) and North Clackamas (Washington) school districts. Predeceased by her husband in 1991 and by a daughter in 1967, Nellie Mae is survived by one daughter, one son, four grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

CLAYTON BOOTH ’35 died April 13, 2003. He was 90 years old. Born in Vermont, Clayton and his family moved to Seattle by train in 1918. He met his future wife, GENEVA JONES ’35, while attending SPC, and they married in 1936. After graduation from SPC, Clayton earned an M.A. in music from the University of Washington and began a life of service through music. He was the director of music at several Seattle-area churches, led Saturday night youth rallies at Seattle’s Moore Theatre during World War II, and worked as the musical director for several evangelists during the 1940s and 1950s. With his wife on piano, Clayton led the music on the radio program “Morning Cheer,” heard on KGDN in Seattle during the 1950s and 1960s. He also worked in estate planning for Crista Ministries from 1965 to 1985. Clayton is survived by his wife; one daughter, VIRGINIA BOOTH ’67; three sons, including WILLIAM BOOTH ’64; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

WILLET BOWERMAN ’33 died August 14, 2003, at the age of 94. The eldest in a family of four children known for their musical talent, Willet entered SPU in 1929 and sang in the Victory Quartet. After college, he married his SPC voice teacher, VERNA FINK, and the couple moved to Chicago. There he continued to sing and made a living selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door. In 1938, Willet entered the Free Methodist pastorate and over many years served churches in Iowa, Illinois and Washington. He and Verna had four children. When Verna died, Willet married a widow, HAZEL MORAN, who at the time was working as a dorm mother at SPC. They were married from 1967 to 2000, when she died. In April 2001, at the age of 90, Willet married VERA IVERSON ’31, who was an SPC freshman at the same time he was. Willet is survived by his wife, Vera; twin daughters, MARY BOWERMAN GUNHUS ’65 and MYRTLE BOWERMAN HINTZ ’64; sons JAY BOWERMAN ’60 and GLENN BOWERMAN ’67; four stepchildren, including GAYLE MORAN COREA ’66, VIRGIL IVERSON ’56 and VERLYN IVERSON ’58; 15 grandchildren; 29 great-grandchildren; and five great-great-grandchildren. He is also survived by many step-grandchildren and step-great-grandchildren.

SYLVIA BULLOCK ’79 died February 24, 2003, three days after her 48th birth-day. Following graduation from SPC, she attended Multnomah School of the Bible and earned a doctorate in psychology from Rosemead College. Sylvia is survived by her parents, one sister and four brothers.

CLIFFORD BURNS ’57 died February 21, 2003. He was 81 years old. Born in Washington, Clifford was a teacher in Washington state and a missionary in Quito, Ecuador, with the Christian and Missionary Alliance for 14 years. A resident of Tacoma, Washington, and member of the Tacoma Alliance Church, Clifford is survived by his wife, Lucille; one son; three grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

JUDITH SAUER DAVIES ’63 died of cancer on July 15, 2003. She was 62 years old. Born in Spokane, Washington, Judith was raised in the Seattle area. After earning a nursing degree at SPC and the University of Washington, she worked in critical care, emergency medicine, medical sales and home health. In 1992, she served in Alaska’s Aleutian Islands as the sole medical provider for Trident Seafoods and the local native village. Judith spent two years in Algeria with her husband, James, and their daughter. The family also lived in Boulder, Colorado; Anchorage, Alaska; Houston, Texas; and Port Townsend, Washington. After moving to Port Townsend in 1997, Judith earned her Coast Guard Auxiliary certificate. She is survived by her husband, one daughter, three stepsons, eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

RANDALL FARMER ’81 died July 4, 2003, in a swimming accident in Michigan. He was 44 years old. Randall was one of seven swimmers who drowned after being swept from the shore by a strong riptide and under-current formed after thunderstorms earlier that day. After graduating from SPU, Randall developed software for companies in the computer and robotic industries. In 1985, he moved to Wheaton, Illinois, where he was an active member of Wheaton Evangelical Free Church. He served on the church’s mission board, as well as with an organization that finds housing for missionaries on furlough. He participated in the “Pathfinders” adult Sunday school class. An avid jogger, Randall also loved to play golf. He is survived by his parents and two brothers, including KENNETH FARMER ’84.

died March 14, 2003, at the age of 68. Born in Seattle, Jim served in the Army from 1955 to 1958. After graduating from SPC in 1962, he worked as a program manager and controller for Boeing for 33 years. In 1980, he married Nancy Ann Whitaker. He was a member of the AARL-San Juan Area Radio Group, the Anacortes Auxiliary Patrol, the American Alpine Club and the Mountaineers. Jim was also chair of the Mount Baker Lodge and History Committee. He loved photography and history, and he knew the history of most of the places where he hiked or climbed. Jim is survived by his wife, one daughter and four grandchildren.

MARGARET LOUISE MACPHEE MILLER ’34 died May 31, 2003. She was 90 years old. Born in Portland, Oregon, Margaret met her husband, MAURICE MILLER ’38, while attending SPC. As the wife of a Free Methodist minister for 68 years, Margaret was active in the foreign missions program of her church at local, regional and national levels. She is survived by her husband; three daughters, including MIRIAM MILLER GODDING ’64 and MARILYN MILLER O’NEEL ’69; six grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; four sisters, including EUNICE MACPHEE WATKINS ’38; and one brother, DONALD MACPHEE ’50.

REED OPPENLANDER CC ’63 died August 3, 2003, at the age of 66, from a brain hemorrhage. He and his wife, JUDY HASSEL OPPENLANDER CC ’63, were only days away from celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary. Born and raised in Oregon, Reed attended Cascade College, where he studied for the ministry. He was in the Oregon National Guard and the U.S. Navy, serving on the submarine Halibut. Reed worked in the Cornelius (Oregon) Public Works Department for nearly 30 years until his retirement in 1997 as a senior utility worker. He was a member of the First Baptist Church in Hillsboro, Oregon, for 17 years and more recently attended Cornelius Community Baptist Church. Reed enjoyed woodcarving, gardening and hiking, and he was an avid reader. He loved reading his Bible and participating in Bible study groups. Reed is survived by his wife; one daughter; two sons, including MARK OPPENLANDER ’94; and five grandchildren.
MARY CHAPMAN PARK ’38 died September 19, 2003. A retired elementary school teacher, she is survived by her husband, KENNETH PARK ’39, and three sons.

DONNA HICKS PLATO ’54 died June 2, 2003. She was 71 years old. Born in Portland, Oregon, Donna taught physical education in Tenino, Washington; Bonners Ferry, Idaho; and Spokane, Washington. When she went to work for Spokane’s School District 81, she taught elementary physical education in 19 grade schools. She was also the District’s elementary physical education coordinator for five years before retiring in 1986. Donna is survived by one brother, one nephew, one niece and numerous cousins.

POLLY ANN HOWARD ROOD ’72 died August 6, 2003, after a 20-year battle with a neurodegenerative illness. She was 52 years old. Born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Polly Ann was the beloved wife of RICK ROOD ’72, who was with her at the time of her death. Although for the past 11 years Polly Ann lived in two nursing homes in the Dallas, Texas, area, she battled her illness with courage and faith. She is survived by her husband; one son; one daughter; her mother; one sister, MICKIE HOWARD BUSH ’74; and two half-sisters, DORIS SPRINGER BATES ’89 and ALICE SPRINGER ’90.

died of Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS) June 2, 2003. He was 81 years old. Born in Clear Lake, Washington, Jim came to Seattle in 1940 after graduating from high school. In addition to attending SPC, he entered the Air Force Reserves and worked on a dairy farm. He married E. GENE WALLACE ’45 in 1942. Called to the ministry, Jim served in many Free Methodist churches in Western and Eastern Washington throughout his career. Retiring in 1990, he began a bent-wood furniture business named Twig Craft. He and Gene made their home in Burlington, Washington, and were active at Day Creek Chapel in Sedro-Wooley. Jim is survived by his wife, two daughters, and one granddaughter.

STEPHEN SCOTT ’40 died January 31, 2003. He was 85 years old. Born on the Scott family farm north of Harrington, Washington, Stephen was a fourth-generation farmer. He was also a World War II Army Air Corps veteran, an avid bowler and the longtime Harrington town baseball team pitcher. Stephen belonged to the Harrington United Methodist Church and the Washington Association of Wheat Growers. Preceded in death by his wife, Margrethe, he is survived by a brother, CHARLES SCOTT ’41; a sister, EDITH SCOTT HOLMES ’40; and 11 nieces and nephews.

EDNALEE LEWIS SHORE ’37 died September 10, 2003, at the age of 88. Born in Hiram, Arkansas, Ednalee’s family moved to Washing-ton state when she was 3 years old. She graduated from Ballard High School and attended both SPC and Simpson Bible Institute. Through New Tribes Mission, Ednalee served in Bolivia between 1949 and 1951, when a medical condition forced her to return home. After her marriage to Cecil Shore in 1955, she formed a successful home Bible study class for children that continued for many years. Preceded in death by her husband, Ednalee is survived by three stepdaughters, two brothers and one sister.

FRANK STIPEK ’66 died July 28, 2003, at the age of 81. Frank founded Northwest Millwork in Seattle, one of the largest millwork companies in the Northwest. He also served for 37 years as pastor of Lowell Community Church in Everett, Washington. He joined the SPU Society of Fellows in 1970. Frank is survived by his wife, VIRGINIA BOUCHER STIPEK ’65, and three daughters.

JESSE WALTER ’28 died July 14, 2003. He was 98 years old. Born on a farm in Dallas, Oregon, Jesse completed both his high school and college education at Seattle Pacific, graduating in 1928. He married LULU MAE YOUNGS ’26 in December 1928, and the couple had three children. Also in 1928, Jesse joined the Army Signal Corps, working on the Washington-Alaska cable. He moved to Salem, Oregon, in 1931 and worked for the U.S. Postal Service from 1936 until his retirement in 1965. In retirement, Jesse volunteered as financial secretary and auditor for the Free Methodist Church in Salem and for the Oregon Conference of the Free Methodist Church. Preceded in death by his wife and one son, Jesse is survived by one son, one daughter, four grandsons and six great-grandchildren.

Back to the top
Back to Footnotes



In Memoriam