Understanding the Transfer Equivalency Guide

The Transfer Equivalency Guide (TEG) can help students determine how a course from another institution can transfer to SPU. It is not a comprehensive list; rather, it is a collection of courses students have transferred in previously.

Prospective students with questions about specific courses should connect with Undergraduate Admissions.

Current students should check in with their academic counselor if they have questions about specific courses or want to take a course outside of SPU.  Courses in the equivalency guide are not guaranteed to transfer without prior approval from your academic counselor in Student Academic Services. 

Reading the TEG

After you've selected the state and institution you’re interested in viewing, a list of courses from that school will appear below.

  • The left column lists how the course appears at the other institution (including the course subject code and number, along with the course’s title and credits).
  • The right column shows how the course will transfer to SPU.

Note: The number of credits may differ if the other institution is a semester-based school, because 1 semester credit will equal 1.5 quarter credits.

Some common ways that courses appear in the TEG:

  1. As directly transferable courses: Courses equivalent to a course offered at SPU will appear with the right column showing the actual course from SPU’s Undergraduate Catalog to which the transfer course equates (e.g., COM 1101 Interpersonal Communication).
  2. As Ways of Knowing courses: Classes that are not equivalent to any specific class at SPU but can fulfill a requirement in an Exploratory Curriculum (General Education) category (e.g., SPGE LWKA, lower-division Ways of Knowing in the Arts).
  3. As lower- vs. upper-division elective classes: If a course is not directly equivalent to anything SPU offers but will transfer and count toward total credits to graduate (i.e., SPU LDEL, Transfer Lower Division Elective).
  4. As a non-transferable classes: Courses that cannot be transferred toward a degree at SPU.*

*Within a completed Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) associate degree, up to 15 credits in coursework that does not normally transfer may transfer as "restricted electives."

Course attributes

Any course that fulfills a degree requirement, such those in the exploratory or common curriculum, will have particular attributes as well. These will be listed in the far right column. This chart lists the attribute and its meaning:




UCOR 2000


UCOR 3000


UFDN 1000


UFDN 2000/3001


UFDN 3100


Academic Writing


Disciplinary Writing


Ways of Knowing in the Arts


Ways of Knowing in the Humanities


Ways of Knowing in Quantitative Reasoning


Ways of Knowing in the Sciences: Applied Science


Ways of Knowing in the Sciences: Fundamental Science


Ways of Knowing in the Social Sciences


Ways of Engaging


Foreign Language Competency (assuming C or better)


Lower Division


Upper Division

Other important details

Repeating classes: If a student already attempted a course at SPU, the grade at SPU cannot be replaced by a transfer course from another institution. If the grade is an E, the equivalent transfer course can be transferred, but the E at SPU will not be excluded from the GPA. If the grade at SPU is higher than an E, an equivalent transfer course cannot be transferred in. The course (if required) would need to be repeated at SPU.

Class level: Transfer courses will transfer at the level they are at the awarding institution. For example, if a lower-division course at Bellevue College, (i.e., PSYC& 220) is deemed equivalent to an upper-division course at SPU (i.e., PSY 3360), it will transfer as equivalent to that course, but will not be counted as upper-division at SPU. This will be signified by the (LD) listed in the title of the course and the lack of the UD attribute in the far right column. 

Writing intensive courses: Courses considered “Writing Intensive” at another institution will not automatically fulfill the “W” requirement at SPU. The course must be evaluated to ensure certain criteria are met. A student can request an evaluation of a course to meet “W” through the Academic Counseling Office by completing a Petition for "W" Credit form (PDF). A course syllabus will be required.

Limit on credits from two-year institutions: SPU transfers a maximum of 90 credits from two-year institutions and testing programs, combined. If a student has more than 90 credits, courses that meet major, minor, general education requirements will be transferred first. Courses that transfer as elective will have lower priority.