Alternative Routes to Certification
School districts have long sought out SPU-educated teachers for both their competence and character. The Alternative Routes to Certification program integrates Residency Teacher Certification with a Master of Arts in Teaching degree in a full-time one-year program. Today, more than two-thirds of the candidates SPU recommends to the state of Washington for a Residency Teacher Certificate have completed a master's degree.
Who Should Pursue This Degree
If you hold an undergraduate degree and want to earn both teaching certification and a master's degree concurrently, then this program may be right for you. Although the ARC program appeals to a wide variety of applicants, paraprofessionals, instructional assistants, and non-certified teachers in private schools find the format especially helpful, since these positions often facilitate completion of internship requirements.
Teacher candidates in the ARC program at SPU
- earn a Washington Residency Teacher Certificate;
- engage in a full-time year-long student teaching internship with diverse learners;
- gain knowledge and skills to impact student learning;
- explore tensions and possibilities for social justice teaching;
- learn from experienced mentor teachers and field supervisors;
- progress through the program with fellow students in a cohort;
- experience personalized advising across the program, from admission to job search;
- complete a graduate degree for higher placement on the salary schedule.
The program outline includes a description of program components, schedule, coursework, and internship. The official degree requirements for this program are shown in the SPU Graduate Catalog according to the year candidates are admitted.
What is required for admission to the ARC program? Find information about admission requirements and procedures.
Admission to 2017-18 Cohort
Complete your application file before the deadline to be considered for the interview round on March 18, 2017. Qualified applicants will be invited to interview. Don't miss your invitation — check all email folders regularly!
Did You Know?
SPU also offers a two-year, part-time MAT program to earn teacher certification and a master’s degree concurrently.