Alternative Routes to Certification
School districts have long sought out SPU-educated teachers for both their competence and their character. The Alternative Routes to Certification integrates Residency Teacher Certification with a Master of Arts in Teaching in an intensive, full-time, one-year program. Today, more than half of the candidates SPU recommends to the state of Washington for a Residency Teacher Certificate have completed a master's degree.
Who Should Pursue This Degree
If you hold an undergraduate degree and want to earn both teaching certification and a master's degree concurrently, the ARC program may be right for you. As a paraprofessional, instructional assistant, or non-certified teacher in a private school, you are encouraged to apply to the ARC program; you may be able to use your position as the program's required internship.
As a student in the ARC degree program at SPU, you will:
- Earn a Washington Residency Teacher Certificate.
- Complete a Master of Arts in Teaching, which offers greater teaching expertise and a higher position on the salary scale.
- Progress through the program with fellow students in a cohort.
- Enjoy personalized advising and mentoring from full-time faculty.
- Take part in field-based experiences with diverse learners, culminating in an extended school-site teaching experience.
- Learn from technology instruction embedded in the curriculum.
- Create a personalized Teacher Development Plan.
- Receive guaranteed enrollment in certification courses.
The program outline includes a description of program components, required courses, and program schedule. The official degree requirements for this graduate program are stated in the SPU Graduate Catalog in effect when you are accepted into this program.
What is required for admission to the ARC program? Find information about admission requirements and procedures. The official admission requirements for this graduate program are stated in the SPU Graduate Catalog in effect when you apply to this program.
2014 ARC and MTMS Programs Interview
The ARC and MTMS programs interview will be held on March 22, 2014, on the SPU Campus. Candidates who pass the initial application review process will be invited to the interviews via the email address provided on the application.
Did You Know?
SPU also offers a two-year, part-time MAT program to earn teacher certification and a master’s degree concurrently.