Alternative Routes to Certification
School districts have long sought out SPU-educated teachers for both their competence and character. The Alternative Routes to Certification program integrates Residency Teacher Certification with a Master of Arts in Teaching degree in a full-time, one-year program. Today, more than two-thirds of the candidates SPU recommends to the state of Washington for a Residency Teacher Certificate have completed a master's degree.
Who Should Pursue This Degree
If you hold an undergraduate degree and want to earn both teaching certification and a master's degree concurrently, then this program may be right for you. Although the ARC program appeals to a wide variety of applicants - paraprofessionals, instructional assistants, and non-certified teachers in private schools find the format especially helpful, since these positions often facilitate completion of internship requirements.
Teacher candidates in the ARC program at SPU
- Earn a Washington Residency Teacher Certificate
- Complete a Master of Arts in Teaching, which offers greater teaching expertise and a higher position on the salary scale
- Progress through the program with fellow students in a cohort
- Enjoy personalized advising and mentoring from faculty and staff
- Take part in a full-time, year-long internship experience with diverse learners
- Learn from technology instruction embedded in the curriculum.
- Create a personalized Teacher Development Plan.
- Receive guaranteed enrollment in certification courses
The program outline includes a description of program components, schedule, coursework, and internship. The official degree requirements for this program are shown in the SPU Graduate Catalog according to the year candidates are admitted.
What is required for admission to the ARC program? Find information about admission requirements and procedures.
2015 ARC and MTMS Programs Interview
The ARC and MTMS programs interview will be held on March 21, 2015, on the SPU Campus. Candidates who pass the initial application review process will be invited to the interviews via the email address provided on the application.
Did You Know?
SPU also offers a two-year, part-time MAT program to earn teacher certification and a master’s degree concurrently.