As today’s educators, you are well aware of technology’s promise — how it can impact not only the way you teach but also the way your students learn. There is a difference between promise and delivery, however, and, as new technologies find their way into the classroom, often you find you need additional support.
SPU’s Digital Education Leadership program provides you with the tools and knowledge you need to make the most of educational technology. In addition, SPU’s Digital Education Leadership program is aligned with ISTE standards for coaches, as well as relevant NETP goals and recommendations.
Who Should Pursue These Degrees
If you are an educator with a strong interest in educational technology and you want to earn a graduate degree that can lead to a position as a digital education leader, this is the degree for you. Designed for working professionals, all courses in this program are online, with weekly real-time web conferences.
As a student in the MEd in Digital Education Leadership program at SPU, you can enjoy many benefits:
- Explore research, theories, and successful strategies for putting emerging technology to use in the classroom. Examples include blended learning, the flipped classroom, and bring your own device (BYOD).
- Learn from full-time SPU faculty members and expert practitioners in the field. Courses are team taught and delivered asynchronously using a project-based learning model. You decide where and when to learn. Teaching and social presence are enhanced with weekly real-time web conferences between you and your instructors.
- Take advantage of free open educational resources (OERs) for course content, and eliminate the high cost of textbooks. Free open software is used whenever possible, and you can implement similar software in your own school. And, because it is a digital program, the use of paper is kept to a minimum.
- Combine service learning and project-based learning. You choose a school to work with, and throughout the program you complete real-world projects that help educators and students improve their use of educational technology. When you complete the program, you will have a portfolio demonstrating your expertise as a digital education leader.
- Complete the 45-credit program in seven quarters, with a cohort beginning each Autumn Quarter. Course requirements include seven 5-credit courses, taken sequentially, and six 1-credit elective courses.
Apply in your own classroom what you learn in the program, or support other educators and administrators as a digital learning specialist.
- Seamlessly transition to the Doctor of Education (EdD) program and use all credits earned in the master's degree to fulfill elective requirements of the EdD program.
The program outline includes a description of program components. Official degree requirements for this graduate program are stated in the SPU Graduate Catalog in effect when you are accepted into the program.
You may find more information about admission requirements and procedures online.
Ryan Gritter, High School Teacher
“Education and technology are inseparable. I found the DEL program to be a valuable asset in helping teachers and digital education leaders navigate the ever-changing waters of the digital realm. It is a systematic examination of how digital technology can make education better for everyone. I appreciated the student-centered approach and the emphasis on practical application. The environment was overwhelmingly supportive and encouraging.”
Ryan Ingersoll, Dean of Libraries, George Fox University
“The DEL program’s flexibility and unique learning environment was exactly what I needed to integrate into my busy schedule with a new baby and a full-time job. Further, the relevant course work helped refine my expertise and provided new knowledge to help me achieve my professional career goals.”
Catalina Vlad-Ortiz, Nutrition Instructor, SPU Family and Consumer Sciences Department
“This Master's isn't only about technological applications in the classroom, but also applying 21st century skills, active learning pedagogy, and evidence-based classroom design principles. The small changes I've already implemented in my classes have improved learning and teaching outcomes. My students are more engaged than ever before. As a full-time instructor, I appreciate the pace of the program and its online design that accommodates my schedule. I highly recommend this program for anyone who wishes to be better equipped in serving their students, preparing them with the skills necessary for the modern world."