As an SPU student, you’ll typically apply to the nursing major during your sophomore year and begin the clinical nursing program in the fall of your junior year. However, students may apply at a later point, even after completing a degree in another major.
In order to be considered for admission, you must be available for an on-campus interview in late February. You will be notified by email about your interview time two weeks beforehand.
Nursing applications are reviewed by the School of Health Sciences Nursing Admission Committee. Note the following:
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. Completeness of the application packet is your responsibility.
- All application materials may be submitted together in one envelope.
- All documents must be received no later than 4 p.m. on January 15, 2017. If the application due date falls on a weekend, your application must be submitted by 4 p.m. the Friday prior to January 15.
- Acceptance is contingent upon completion of the prerequisite courses by the end of Spring Quarter in June 2017.
- You will be notified of acceptance status in writing.
- Further information about orientation and enrollment into the nursing program will follow full acceptance into the program before the school year begins.
- Attainment of the required prerequisite GPA does not guarantee admission to the major, as the total number of admissions is limited by capacity.
Nursing is an exciting profession that affords practitioners many opportunities. Nursing at SPU is challenging, rewarding, and fun. We look forward to receiving your application.
Contact email@example.com with questions about the nursing application. Due to the high volume of inquiries, it may take a few days for a response.
Apply to SPU now » Request more info »
Transfer applicants (completed coursework at another school)
Download a sample nursing application for transfer and post-baccalaureate students
You will need to apply to Seattle Pacific University and the Lydia Green Nursing Program. If you have not taken coursework at SPU (transfer applicant), it is important to have either a direct transfer degree or bachelor’s degree, or complete 90 transferable credits by the end of June prior to the beginning of the nursing program. For a preview of a typical SPU nursing course sequence, take a look at the course sequence on the undergraduate Nursing program page. Note the following:
- All transfer work must be directly transferable to the equivalent SPU course or listed in the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide as acceptable for Nursing. If you have questions about transferring credits, please contact an SPU transfer admissions counselor.
- Transfer students (including post-baccalaureate) must have a GPA of 3.5 or above in the combined prerequisites.
- Four prerequisite courses must be successfully completed (with a 2.0 minimum in any one prerequisite course) by the application due date, and all nine must be successfully completed by the end of Spring Quarter.
- If you have coursework from the University of Washington, Washington State University, Eastern Washington University, or Greater Seattle community colleges, you can find a list of nursing prerequisite transferable courses on our FAQ page.
- After applying to the nursing program, if you complete coursework at institutions other than SPU, please send official transcripts to both the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the School of Health Sciences Undergraduate Nursing Program.
In order to be considered for entry into the nursing major, completed application materials are submitted to the School of Health Sciences (SPU students) or the Office of Admissions (transfer students) and must include:
An application to the SHS Lydia Green Nursing Program (printable application instructions for non-SPU students)
A professional recommendation (sealed)
Official transcripts (sealed) for prerequisite coursework other than SPU’s
Course descriptions for each prerequisite course taken other than at SPU (if not listed on Transfer Equivalency Guide)
Prerequisite calculator page printed and submitted with SHS application (see Prerequisite Courses and Calculator below)
Background Disclosure form (must be completed and signed)
Work and volunteer hours
Non-SPU transfer and post-baccalaureate transfer students must also submit an SPU application to Undergraduate Admissions.
Read the application instructions above in addition to this information:
If you are a current SPU student (having completed a course at SPU in the last four quarters), you must apply online in Banner. We will access your coursework through the Banner system. However, there are additional documents to submit by the January 15 deadline:
For additional help with these documents, preview the online nursing application so you can plan your answers ahead of time and view step-by-step instructions for the Banner Nursing major application.
You must have completed coursework at SPU in Autumn Quarter 2016 or during the 2015–16 school year in order to be considered a current SPU student. SPU degree holders and former students must reapply to the University and use the Nursing Application for Transfer and Post-baccalaureate applicants. You will not need to submit an SPU transcript; indicate your SPU coursework on the first page of the application.
You will be notified of admission, waitlist placement, or admission denial in writing from the School of Health Sciences. Actual admission to the major in Banner will not be submitted until a later date.
Prerequisite courses and calculator
Coursework for the nursing major begins Autumn Quarter of your junior year. It is strongly recommended that all other general education coursework necessary for the bachelor of science degree be completed prior to beginning the Nursing program. In order to begin the program, the following prerequisite college-level courses must be completed (all science courses must include a lab):
- “General (Inorganic) Chemistry” (CHM 1310 or 1211)
- “Biological (Organic) Chemistry” (CHM 1360 or 1330)
- “Anatomy” (BIO 2129)
- “Physiology” (BIO 2130)
- “General Microbiology” (BIO 3351)
- “General Psychology” (PSY 1180)
- “Developmental Psychology” (PSY 2470)
- “Human Nutrition” (FCS 3340)
- “Statistics” (MAT 1360)
At least four prerequisite courses must be completed at the time of application, and all prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of Spring Quarter of the year prior to beginning nursing courses.
You must submit the Prerequisite GPA Calculator with the Nursing Application. If you experience difficulty with the PDF, view the Excel version of the calculator.
Transfer students (no coursework at SPU): You must have a minimum of 3.5 cumulative GPA in the prerequisite courses with no course less than a “C” grade. (Anything less than 2.0 is not acceptable.) Attainment of the minimum GPA does not guarantee admission to a major, however, as the total number of admissions is limited by capacity.
SPU students: The minimum cumulative GPA in these prerequisite courses for SPU students is 2.75 with no course less than a “C” grade. (Anything less than 2.0 is not acceptable.) Attainment of the minimum GPA does not guarantee admission to a major, however, as the total number of admissions is limited by capacity.
If you have recently completed at least one quarter or semester of clinical nursing coursework (beyond prerequisites) at another institution (bachelor’s degree level), you may be eligible for mid-program entry if we have space available. Complete the Mid-program Nursing Application along with your application to the University as a transfer student. If you have not completed a quarter or more of nursing coursework, you should complete the Application for Undergraduate Nursing.
Mid-program entry will be conditional upon space available, in addition to SPU application and admission requirements. If you are a transfer student and hope to pursue the mid-nursing program, you are encouraged to contact the SHS office for an appointment with a nursing faculty member/advisor.