To engage, challenge, and nurture faculty in appropriate uses of educational technologies so they can prepare students for leadership in an information society.
We recognize that faculty often feel intimidated by technology, are not aware of current and emerging technology resources, or are unsure of how to incorporate educational technology into their instruction. We also understand the importance of providing ongoing training and readily available technology support for faculty.
ITS hosts workshops and provides ongoing technology support to faculty a) for their personal benefit and professional development and b) so that they can engage, challenge and nurture their students in preparation for leadership in an information society.
ITS strives to actively engage SPU faculty in discovering and becoming proficient in using technology through hands-on learning activities. For example:
- During workshops, participants work at personal computers, following directions given orally, documented in handouts, and projected on a large screen. Opportunities to play around with technology are also provided following workshops.
- Throughout workshops and one-on-one training sessions, opportunities for questions and comments are given.
- For workshops held over the noon hour, a free meal is often offered as an incentive to attend.
- Following a workshop, certificates are awarded to and placed in the permanent files of faculty who attend.
- ITS is working with vendors to pursue arrangements to distribute copies of software to workshop participants.
Educational technology training and resources provided by ITS meet a number of International Society for Technology in Education - National Educational Technology Standards (ISTE NETS).
Technology Operations and Concepts
ITS seeks to:
- Provide information, training, and resources to SPU faculty to help them grow in their knowledge and use of current and emerging technologies.
Planning & Designing Learning Environments & Experiences
ITS works along SPU faculty to:
- Design developmentally appropriate learning opportunities that apply technology-enhanced instructional strategies to support the diverse needs of learners.
- Apply current research on teaching and learning with technology when planning learning environments and experiences.
- Identify and locate technology resources and evaluate them for accuracy and suitability.
- Plan for the management of technology resources within the context of learning activities.
- Plan strategies to manage student learning in a technology-enhanced environment.
Teaching, Learning, and the Curriculum
ITS aids SPU faculty in:
- Using technology to support learner-centered strategies that address the diverse needs of students.
- Managing student learning activities in a technology-enhanced environment.
Productivity and Professional Practice
ITS provides opportunities and resources for SPU faculty to:
- Use technology resources to engage in ongoing professional development and lifelong learning.
- Continually evaluate and reflect on professional practice to make informed decisions regarding the use of technology in support of student learning.
- Apply technology to increase productivity.
- Use technology to communicate and collaborate with peers, parents, and the larger community in order to nurture student learning.
Audio/Video Specialist and Production Supervisor
Senior Graphic Designer
Please feel free to contact us. We look forward to partnering with you in incorporating educational technology into your instruction.