General Resources
Catalogs & Time Schedule

Faculty Resources
Get Answers

Suggested Course Sequences
Transfer Equivalency Guide

Enrollment Verification


Non-Matriculated Students
Order a Transcript
Veterans Education Benefits

Meet the Team
Academic Counselors

International Student Records
Records & Registration

Technology Services

Phone: 206-281-2031
Fax: 206-281-2669

Student Academic Services: Get Answers

Student Academic Services Staff

Graduate Students: Registration Information


Registering, Adding, and Dropping Classes
Students may register, add, or drop classes starting at their registration appointment time, through 5 p.m. on the fifth day of the quarter. Internships, Independent Studies, and Individual Instruction in music have an extended deadline of the 10th day of the quarter. Forms must be completed and filed with Student Academic Services no later than 4:30 p.m. To view the official registration dates, view the Academic Calendar.

Students have the option to drop classes through the sixth week of the quarter. The following guidelines pertain to dropping a course:
  • A withdrawal from a course during the first week of the quarter will not appear on the transcript.
  • A withdrawal from a course during the second through sixth week of the quarter will be noted with a “W” on the transcript.
  • No withdrawals are accepted after the sixth week of the quarter.
  • If a student does not provide proper written notification to Student Academic Services, financial obligations will remain binding, regardless of whether classes were attended or whether any contracted services were utilized.
  • If a student does not withdraw from a course by the end of the sixth week of the quarter, but stops attending the course, the student will receive the grade earned.
  • Should the student desire to complete the course during a future quarter, the student will be required to register and pay the current tuition for the course.
  • After the fifth day of the quarter the student must obtain the required signatures to withdraw from a course. Withdrawal forms are available by clicking here (pdf).
Refund is calculated by percentage, and explained in the Costs and Financial Aid section of the Graduate Catalog.
When do I register for classes each quarter?
Registration takes place around the seventh week of each preceding quarter. During registration week, currently enrolled students are allowed to register before non-matriculated students and newly admitted students.

Registration appointments for students with senior standing are followed by appointments for juniors, sophomores, and then freshmen. Within each class, students are assigned times to register based on the number of credits they have completed. Therefore, you may register at 1 p.m. one quarter and at 7:00 p.m. the next. Registering at your appointed time (or as soon as possible thereafter) will give you the best chance at your first-choice classes, Registering via the World Wide Web, or using a “Mail/Fax-In Registration Form” allows you to take advantage of the registration period even if you are away from campus during your appointed registration time.

During the fourth or fifth week of autumn, winter, and spring quarters, currently enrolled students are sent an email notification from Student Academic Services. The notification directs you to view on line your assigned registration appointment time and any registration holds which would keep you from being able to register for classes.

In the 2-3 week interim between the time you receive your registration notification and the date for your registration appointment, you should take care of any registration holds, select courses that will fulfill your general and major degree requirements (be prepared with several alternate classes), and meet with your faculty advisor to discuss your course selections and progress toward meeting degree requirements.

Please Note: In order to register for classes, all students who have not declared a major must either have their faculty advisor’s signature on the registration form, or must have the faculty advisor remove the advisor hold from the computer system.
How do I change credits in my variable credit course?
Some courses are set up by a department to allow a graduate student the option of choosing the number of credits for which to take a course. When a student registers for a variable-credit course, it automatically defaults to the lowest number of credits available.

To change the number of credits, click on the “Registration and Schedules Menu” under the “Student Menu” of Banner. Click on “Change Class Options”, and the courses you have registered for under the selected term will appear. From the drop down menu next to “credits,” the credit total options will be listed. Click on the credit total you desire, then press “submit changes” at the bottom of the page. To verify that you have changed the information you may select “Detail Schedule” from the “Registration and Schedules Menu”
What courses have the extended registration deadline of the 10th day of the quarter?
SPU has decided that students may register for specific courses after the regular registration deadline as a benefit to the student, to allow more time to obtain the required signatures or permissions. It is always to the student’s benefit to obtain the permissions as promptly as possible, as it can take several days or weeks to get the necessary permissions.

Courses that are approved for the extended deadline, 10th day of the quarter:
  • Internships ( 4940/6940) (UG/GR): Most require the Internship Learning Contract.
  • Independent Study (4900/6900): Requires the Independent Study Agreement.
  • Individual Instruction in Music: Requires a one-on-one session with the instructor.
  • Individual Practicums (4930): Such as TA work, which require the Special Approval Form.
  • Special Projects (4960): Usually requires the Special Approval Form.
  • Independent Research (497X) and Research Experience (PSY 2361)
  • Independent Readings (4920): Requires the Independent Study Agreement.
  • Certain music performance groups: Autumn Quarter only.
  • Theatre Performance Practicum (1930/3930)
  • Dissertation (7995/7999)
The deadline is 4:30 p.m., the 10th day of the quarter. All paperwork, including the appropriate signatures must be submitted to the registration office. Web registration is no longer available after 5 p.m., the fifth day of the quarter. Official registration deadlines are available online, on the Academic Calendar The regular deadline requires students to be registered for all other courses, these include:
  • All lecture, lab and seminar courses
  • Special Topics (4950)
  • Senior Seminars
  • Newspaper Production
  • Other Music and Theatre practicums, ensembles, and performance groups
If you have additional questions, contact Student Academic Services at , 206-281-2031, or in Demaray Hall 151.
What courses can I audit?
An auditor is a student who pays for, and attends, class but doesn’t want to receive credit. Tuition rates for auditors are the same per credit as for those receiving credit.
  • With instructor approval, students may register and pay to audit any undergraduate course and most 6000-level courses.
  • Students may change from audit to credit or vice versa during the quarterly add period published in the University Calendar.
  • Auditors may neither participate in class discussions nor take examinations.
  • If they do daily assignments, the instructor is under no obligation to read or correct them.
  • Audited courses do not count toward financial aid.
Students dismissed from the University because of low grades, and prospective students who do not qualify for admission, may not register as auditors. A student may receive credit for an audited course only by enrolling in it as a regular student in a subsequent quarter.
What are my registration holds and how do I resolve them?
SPU requires students be in good standing with the University before being allowed to register for each future quarter. Students are notified three weeks in advance of their registration appointment time to allow them the opportunity to resolve their holds in a timely manner.

To view holds:
  • Go to the “Registration and Schedules Menu” under the “Student Menu” of Banner.
  • Click on “View Registration Holds,” and any holds on your account will be listed, along with the department initiating the hold.
Common holds include:
  • Past-due balance on your student account
After a student registers, any additional holds will prevent online registration activity, and changes would need to be made in person or in writing to Student Academic Services. You will not be allowed to register until all registration holds have been resolved.

Return to Graduate Student Get Answers

Return to Get Answers