Learn about the organization/ culture:
- - What do you love about working at this company? What do you think could be improved?
- - What are some of the ways the company focuses on professional development?
- - What makes the difference between a good employee in this company and a fantastic one?
- - What can you tell me about your new products or plans for growth?
Learn about the position:
- - What does a typical day and a difficult day look like?
- - Can you show me examples of projects I’d be working on?
- - What metrics or goals will my performance be evaluated against?
Learn about the team:
- - Who will I report to directly?
- - What are my direct reports’ strengths and the team’s biggest challenges?
- - What are the common career paths in this department?
Learn about the hiring process/ next steps:
- - What are the next steps in the interview process?
- - When will I hear from you regarding the next steps?
- - Is there anything that concerns you about my background being a fit for this role?
Questions to Assess An Organization's Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Source: 2020 NACE article
- - How does your organization define diversity? What lenses of diversity has your organization made a direct commitment toward?
- - Does your organization have a chief diversity officer (CDO) or a designated leader to drive DEI and engage internal and external stakeholders?
- - What social causes does your organization support?
- - Does your organization actively support diverse suppliers, contractors, and small businesses?
- - Has your organization made any formal commitments in support of racial equity?
- - How does your organization center diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging?
- - Does your organization offer any formal employee training around biases, anti-racism, or general DEI?
- - How has your organization prioritized executive accountability toward DEI advancement?
- - Does your organization have any affinity groups or committees to support diverse populations? If so, how do these groups contribute to the culture of the organization??
- - Does your organization complete annual compensation equity analysis?
- - What resources has your organization provided to its employees in support of COVID-19 and racial injustices?