As an individual who is queer, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, non-binary, et al., entering the workforce, you may have questions or concerns about how to approach various aspects of your job, internship or volunteer search.
Frequently Asked Career-related Questions
- How "Out" Should I Be?
- Should I Research Organization Policies and Climates?
- Resume Writing - How Much to Include?
- Interviewing Strategies
- Coming Out on The Job?
We understand the fear of potential bias or harassment in the workplace, such as whether to disclose your sexual orientation and gender identity to a potential employer. Unfortunately, many of the above questions do not have one-size-fits-all answers. It is up to the individual to assess their situation and comfort level regarding how open they are about their sexual orientation
The Center for Career and Calling provides a safe place for students to share their career related concerns and questions while assisting you in your application processes. Below are some resources that you may find useful. We encourage you to make an appointment as you start your job and internship search.
Job Search Resources
- O4U helps LGBTQIA+ undergrad reach their full potential. Each year, they invite a diverse class of high-achieving LGBTQIA+ students to four unique conferences, where they're inspired to pursue ambitious careers.
- Somos is an organization based at Seattle for LGBTQIA+ Latinx folks.
- Rainbow Center Tacoma expands resources and safe space for theLGBTQIA+ community through education, advocacy, and celebration.
- Greater Seattle Business Association is the largest LGBTQIA+ and allied chamber of commerce in North America. They host a variety of events, mixers, and networking opportunities that you can take advantage of.
- Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is the world's premier nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving LGBTQIA+ workplace equality. They host an annual summit you might consider attending.
- The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Intersex Association is the world federation of national and local organizations dedicated to achieving equal rights for LGBTQIA+ people across the globe. Want to make an international impact? See how you might get involved.