Admissions The Loop Academics Grad Student Resources Grad Student News and Updates

2008-2009 Graduate Catalog

Download and print
the 2008–09 Graduate Catalog.

<< Catalog Home



Community Standards and Policies

Graduate Activities and Organizations

Graduate Student Services


Behavioral Expectations
Seattle Pacific University
's standards for behavior are representative of the University's identity and are designed to provide a positive learning environment while promoting the intellectual, social, spiritual, and physical well-being of students. The context for Seattle Pacific community standards, explained below, reflects the University's commitment to its Christian philosophy of education in the tradition of its Wesleyan heritage.

Any questions regarding these statements should be addressed to the chief judicial officer or the dean of student life in the Office of Student Life.

Context for Community Standards
As the University develops and implements its policies relative to lifestyle expectations, the standards are shaped and informed by four sources: legal authority (local, state, and federal law), Scripture, historic Christian tradition, and the mission of the University.

Legal Authority. Local, state, and federal laws address matters that directly influence University policy. Theft, possession or use of illegal substances, under-age use or possession of alcohol, any kind of harassment, physical abuse against persons or property (rape, assault, and vandalism), possession of firearms on campus, and violations of copyright laws are examples of the way laws interface with policy.

Scripture. Scripture addresses issues relating to matters of character and integrity that impact the community and the relationships of those who are a part of the community. We affirm that all persons are of sacred worth and affirm that God's grace is available to all.

The University provides counseling services for those who need help in clarifying personal character issues, relational and behavioral; or those struggling with issues of morality and moral behavior.

Historic Christian Tradition and the University Mission. This area is the most difficult to define because our community is diverse in its concerns over certain issues. Nonetheless, our roots and values are deeply connected to the Free Methodist and other evangelical Christian churches. Evangelical churches are those that find their authority in God's word and stress the need for a personal, redemptive faith in Jesus Christ.

Conduct Code

Community expectations are the general standards that govern the personal conduct of all students and student organizations at SPU. Behaviors for which students or student organizations are subject to disciplinary action include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Actions that constitute violations of municipal, state, or federal law. The University reserves the right to follow its normal conduct process whenever a student is accused of a criminal act, regardless of the location of its occurrence and regardless of whether civil or criminal proceedings have been instituted against the student.
  • Actions that interfere with the educational process or the administration of the University, including those that obstruct or disrupt the use of University premises, buildings, rooms or passages, or which incite a disturbance.
  • Dishonesty such as cheating or plagiarism; knowingly furnishing false information; alteration or unauthorized use of University documents, records or property; or the misuse of student identification.
  • Participation in any actions that involve discrimination or harassment based on race, color, national origin, religion, disability, or gender.
  • Any form of coercive or unwelcome sexual behavior, including sexual assault, rape, acquaintance rape, indecent liberties, or related actions.
  • Activities that cause or threaten emotional, mental, or physical harm or suffering; that demean the dignity of any individual; or that interfere with one’s academic process. Examples of such actions are verbal threats or abuse, harassment, intimidation, threatened or actual physical assault, or consistent disregard for the rights and welfare of others.
  • Conduct or activities that are lewd, indecent, or obscene, whether demonstrative, visual, verbal, written, or electronic (see the Acceptable Use Policy Statement).
  • Failure to comply with the directions of authorized University officials in the performance of their duties, including the failure to comply with the terms of disciplinary sanction. This also includes the failure to identify oneself when requested to do so.
  • False reporting or warning of an impending fire, bombing, crime or emergency, or tampering with safety equipment.
  • Unauthorized possession of, or damage to, University property or services, or property belonging to others. Unauthorized presence in, or unauthorized use of or duplication of keys to, University premises or property.
  • Possession, use or display on University property of any firearms, weapons, fireworks, live ammunition, incendiary devices, or other items that are potentially hazardous to members of the campus community.
  • Activities that may cause damage or constitute a safety or health hazard or interfere with the academic process. Such activities include, but are not limited to, entering or exiting buildings through the windows; throwing, projecting, or dropping items that may cause injury or damage; and pranks that create safety and health hazards for others and/or cause damage to University or personal property.

Seattle Pacific University Nondiscrimination/Grievance Policy

It is the policy of Seattle Pacific University not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in its programs or activities, as required by applicable laws and regulations.

As a religious educational institution operating under the auspices of the Free Methodist Church of North America, Seattle Pacific University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees or prospective employees on the basis of religion.

If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact either of the following persons:

Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs/Dean of Student Life
Campus Location: Room 209, Student Union Building
Seattle Pacific University 3307 Third Avenue West, Suite 212
Seattle, Washington 98119-1950

Executive Director of Human Resources
Campus Location: 330 West Nickerson Street
Seattle Pacific University
3307 Third Avenue West, Suite 302
Seattle, Washington 98119-1957

If you believe you may have been discriminated against in violation of this policy, please immediately contact one of the individuals designated above. Copies of the grievance procedures may be obtained from the above designated individuals; the Office of Student Life; the Office of Human Resources; and copies of the grievance procedures are also found here.

This publication is certified as true and correct in content and policy as of the date of publication. The University reserves the right, however, to make changes of any nature in programs, calendar, academic policy, or academic schedules whenever these are deemed necessary or desirable, including changes in course content, class rescheduling, and the canceling of scheduled classes or other academic activities.

Disciplinary Appeals

Students have the opportunity for a self-initiated appeal of a disciplinary action. Appeals may be addressed in writing to the appropriate University official within 48 hours of receipt by the student of the written notice of disciplinary action. The University attempts to provide ample information about community structures, expectations, and practices to all members, especially to those who are new each year. If you would like more information about behavioral standards or the disciplinary process, contact the chief judicial officer or the office of the dean of student life.

Sexual Harassment
Seattle Pacific University is committed to maintaining an academic and social environment free of sexual harassment and assault. Members of our community have the right to work, study, and communicate with each other in an atmosphere free from unsolicited and unwelcome communication of a sexual nature.

Sexual harassment is a form of misconduct that violates the integrity and trust in human relationships. Sexual harassment does not refer to occasional appropriate compliments.

Rather, it is behavior that is personally intrusive, offensive, debilitating to morale, and insulting to human worth and dignity. Sexual harassment of students is marked by inappropriate sexually oriented attention by anyone (faculty member, staff member, or student) who is in a position to determine a student's grade or to adversely affect the student's academic performance, job performance, professional future, participation in campus activities, use of campus services and facilities, or ability to function comfortably in the SPU community.

Students who believe they have been sexually harassed or who have concerns about the appropriateness of faculty, staff, or student behavior may seek support and counsel from among a variety of helpful campus resources and people trained in the prevention of sexual harassment. The consultation will remain confidential if the student wishes. Formal complaints of sexual harassment may be addressed to the dean of student life (206-281-2481), the director of human resources (206-281-2809) or the Office of Academic Affairs (on campus, 206-281-2125).

Further information and SPU's complete statement concerning sexual harassment is available from the Office of Student Life (206-281-2481), Human Resources (206-281-2809), or Safety and Security (206-281-2922).


Drug-Free Workplace and Drug-Free Schools and Communities
SPU is subject to the requirements of the federal Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989. The University strongly supports the 1988 and 1989 acts and consistently ensures compliance with them. SPU annually distributes information regarding the restrictions and consequences of violations of each act. Any student who has not received copies of the statements should contact the Office of Student Life in the Student Union Building (SUB), second floor, or Human Resources at 330 West Nickerson.

The purpose of SPU’s Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug Use Policy is to support the educational mission of the University with standards of personal health, moral integrity, and social consciousness. The policy is also intended to provide guidelines for members of the University community who are sensitive to the varieties of Christian perspectives represented on campus, the Free Methodist Church, and the community at large.

If the abnormal behavior resulted from prescription drug use in compliance with a physician’s instructions, then the policy may be waived. If the behavior is a result of drug abuse or alcohol use, the student will be subject to further disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal and referral for prosecution. If the behavior results in a conviction of a violation of criminal drug or alcohol laws, the disciplinary actions will be dictated by the Drug-Free Workplace regulations.

If a student is required to complete a drug treatment and rehabilitation program as part of the disciplinary action resulting from a violation of this policy, official records of the diagnosis or treatment will be kept for three years in the student’s records. The file will be held in the strictest confidence and will be used only as evidence to governmental and granting agencies that the University did in fact take steps toward correcting the problem.


Specific graduate student organizations and clubs are coordinated within individual graduate programs. For information regarding any activities and organizations within a particular graduate program, contact the program coordinator listed below:

College of Arts and Sciences

School of Business and Economics

School of Education

School of Health Sciences

School of Psychology, Family and Community

School of Theology

SPU graduate students are encouraged to participate in ongoing all-University activities. A listing of relevant organizations, offices, and services that serve graduate students include the following:

Chapels and Assemblies
Graduate students are encouraged to attend chapels and assemblies and to use these opportunities to hear outstanding leaders in religion, education, and other professions. For a schedule, call University Ministries at 206-281-2966.

Graduate Hooding Ceremony Seattle Pacific University's master's degree recipients are invited to the Hooding Ceremony before the annual Ivy Cutting Ceremony.

Master's degree students are recognized by the academic leadership for completion of their advanced degree and are hooded by their school dean and the graduate faculty. They then take their place behind the faculty for the Ivy Cutting procession. Doctoral students may attend but are hooded during Commencement.

Commencement is a time-honored ceremony at Seattle Pacific that recognizes the scholarship, service, and Christian growth of graduating students. It is a celebratory service where students, faculty, staff, parents, relatives, and friends congratulate the graduates on their "new beginning."

Degrees are awarded to graduates who have successfully completed the requirements to obtain their baccalaureate or graduate diplomas. The number of SPU graduates has increased from five in 1915 to more than 900 by 2006.


Alumni Association — 206-281-2586

The Alumni Association is a vehicle through which former students and graduates continue the personal friendships they developed while attending SPU. The Alumni Association provides programs and events that focus on fellowship, service, and intellectual and spiritual growth. Alumni support SPU through student recruitment, volunteer projects and financial assistance to promote the welfare of the University. This office also provides a tracking service to help locate past student friends and coordinates a network of career placement referrals.



US Bank has a branch and an ATM machine located next to the SPU Bookstore. Bank of America also has an ATM machine located in Weter Memorial Hall. 



Operated by Barnes and Noble, the SPU Bookstore carries all required textbooks, a wide selection of general and religious books, student supplies, and other campus-related merchandise.


Career Development Center
Although the Career Development Center's (CDC) primary mission is to serve undergraduate students, many career resources are available that may be helpful to graduate students seeking positions. Visit both the "students" and "alumni" sections of the Career Development Center website.

School of Education students may be eligible to establish a placement file at the CDC. The education placement file is designed to make the search for a position more efficient and expedient. It is often recommended that education students register for a placement file if they plan to apply for a position as an educator now or in the future; many school districts require placement files as part of their hiring process. Call the CDC at 206-281-2485 for further information on education placement files.

Disability Support Services
Staff in Disability Support Services (DSS) in SPU's Center for Learning coordinates services for all students with learning, psychological, medical, and physical disabilities to promote curricular and co-curricular program support and accommodations. A student who wishes to receive services and accommodations due to a disability should do the following:

  • Provide the DSS program coordinator with current documentation that has been prepared by a qualified professional in the relevant field. (For specific guidelines for each disability, contact the DSS program coordinator (
  • Meet with the DSS program coordinator to discuss the particular needs and appropriate accommodations. Located in Lower Moyer, the Center for Learning is open 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Fridays.
  • For housing accommodations, students with disabilities should contact the disability support services coordinator by April 1 if they are returning students and want consideration during the spring sign-up process, or by June 1 if they are new students applying for Autumn Quarter housing. Students applying for housing beginning Winter or Spring quarters should contact the disability support coordinator at least six weeks before the start of the quarter.

For information or to schedule an intake appointment, contact the program coordinator by email ( or at 206-281-2272.

Commuter and Student Lounges

There is a student lounge on the second floor of Weter Memorial Hall.  This lounge has tables for studying, comfortable couches for relaxing, a fireplace, and terminals for internet and checking e-mail.

Computer and Information Services (CIS) — 206-281-2982

CIS coordinates email accounts, the campus computer network and the circulation of media equipment for the campus, such as projectors and audio or video recorders. CIS maintains an up-to-date website that contains a wide range of information pertinent to computer users at SPU, including how to set up your home computer to read SPU student email, how to create personal web pages and how to access Banner ( Priority of equipment use goes first to academic and group course instruction, followed by departmental use. Individual use is limited. 

Reservations are on a first come, first served basis, and must be place 24 hours before desired use. CIS is located in Lower Marston Hall. Hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday.  Email is


Computer Labs

Computer labs are located on campus in: Miller Science Learning Center, the Library, and David L. McKenna Hall (School of Business and Economics). You may use these labs on a walk-in, space-available basis. Computers in departmental facilities are for faculty, staff and intern use only.

Day Care Center 206-281-2919

North Queen Anne Day Care Center is a ministry of First Free Methodist Church that provides day care for pre-school children ages one to five and before and after school care for children in kindergarten through third grades. The center provides snacks and a hot lunch and has indoor and outdoor play areas. Chapel is held two times a week. You are welcome to visit the facilities with your child and may arrange a time for your visit by calling the office.


Food Service

The following sites are offered through Sodexo Food Services and accept only cash or “points” on students’ I.D. cards.  (To buy a meal plan or "points" contact University Services at 206-281-2188.


  • Falcon's Landing, conveniently located in the SUB, offers a variety of fast food items. Included on the daily menus are hot grilled sandwiches, deli foods, salads, ice cream, cold drinks and specialty coffees. Noah’s Bagels also on site: 206-281-2129 or 2354.
  • Gwinn Commons, the main dining hall, features a broad selection of cafeteria food with unlimited refills. Located across from the Library and Weter Hall. 
  • The Subway and Convenience Store (C-store) offers sandwiches, salads, and various convenience items. Located below Gwinn Commons: 206-281-2808.


Health Center 206-281-2231

Staff members provide medical care on an appointment basis for full-and part-time graduate students. They also administer medications and care for minor illnesses under a physician's care. A $50 fee allows for unlimited visits per quarter. Additional charges are made for allergy injections, immunizations and some medications. Laboratory work and referrals outside the Health Center are the financial responsibility of the student. After hours, call Security (x2922) for assistance in finding a triage nurse help line for medical advice.

I.D. Cards (University Services 206-281-2188

The University identification system utilizes a plastic photo identification card. An I.D. card is used to check out library materials, gain admission to campus activities, and utilize athletic facilities, as well as purchasing meal plans or "points" on campus dining.

One photo l.D. card is issued for a student’s entire stay at SPU. Obtain an I.D. card during the registration process of your first quarter. Replacement cost is $20. Photos are taken in the University Services office Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m, although the office is open later the first two weeks of classes.


Instructional Technology Services 206-281-2786

Instructional Technology Services (ITS) is located on the bottom floor of the Library and houses audio/video equipment to be used in course projects. Trained individuals are available for limited hours during the day. 

International Student Services
SPU welcomes and encourages enrollment of international students. Special educational and social programs are designed to enhance a student's cross-cultural experiences. Counseling assistance is also provided for academic achievement, cultural adaptations, and financial and legal concerns.

The international student advisor (ISA) serves as liaison with U.S. Department of Citizenship and Immigration Services regarding international students' travel outside of the United States, permission to transfer, employment eligibility, or practical training options both before and after graduation.

New international students, whether recent arrivals to the United States or transfer students from another educational institution, are required to have an interview with the director during their first week of attendance at Seattle Pacific University. Please call 206-281-2247 for an interview appointment.

Requirements For F-1 International Students
F-1 non-immigrant status carries responsibilities as well as privileges. Failure to comply with requirements is considered a violation of U.S. law that invalidates F-1 status and cancels privileges. Seattle Pacific is required by law to make regular reports about F-1 students' status to the U.S. government. The international student advisor (ISA) in the Office of Student Life provides services to assist international students in complying with the terms of their visa status, applying for benefits, and attempting to correct status violations when necessary. However, the student's status is always considered his or her own responsibility, not that of SPU.

To maintain good F-1 status, you must:

  1. Participate in an entry interview. Attend a New International Student Orientation session or schedule an appointment with the ISA no later than the fifth day of your first quarter.
  2. Be a full-time student. Complete a full-time course load (6 credits for graduate students) during every quarter except summer, and maintain satisfactory academic progress. If it is not possible to be enrolled full-time, a "Request for Reduced Enrollment" form (available in the ISA's office) signed by your academic advisor must be submitted to the ISA no later than the first day of the quarter. Reduced enrollment will only be approved under exceptional circumstances defined by F-1 regulations. Following the 10th day of a quarter, F-1 students enrolled part-time without ISA approval will be reported "out of status."
  3. Do not work off-campus without authorization. All F-1 students (in good status) are authorized to work on-campus at SPU up to 20 hours per week during full-time study and up to 40 hours per week during vacation periods. Any off-campus employment (any type of work for any type of compensation) must be approved by the ISA and is only allowed within strict F-1 regulations.
  4. Report any change of name or address. The U.S. government requires notification within 10 days of any name or address change. You must report the location of your physical residence (not a post office box) to both:
    • the U.S. government — using Form AR-11
    • SPU — using a Change of Directory Information form or the Banner Information System "Personal Directory Information/Directory Preferences" menu.
  5. Obey the laws of the United States of America.
  6. Participate in an exit interview (in the event of departure): Schedule an appointment with the ISA if you will be graduating or otherwise ending your studies at SPU for any reason.

Library, 206-281-2228; Circulation Desk, 206-281-2788; Reserve Desk

The Library is the major academic resource center on the campus. The Library contains more than 140,000 volumes and subscribes to approximately 1,200 periodicals. Bibliographic specialists are available to help identify the most appropriate Library resources for research projects. Computerized services such as the Western Library Network, the DIALOG Information Retrieval Service, and DataTimes are also available for locating materials. In addition, CD-ROM computer stations provide direct access to databases such as PsychLit, ERIC, Religion Index, and Academic Index.

Interlibrary Loans

  • Students may request materials from other libraries when working on research projects that require resources not available in our library. One to three weeks must be allowed for receipt of the material. Students with valid l.D.'s also may check out books directly from several regional academic libraries through an independent university consortia arrangement. The Reference Librarian at the information desk will assist with these special services at 206-281-2154.


Circulation Regulations

  • Most of the circulating materials may be checked out for a three-week period. These materials may be renewed once, if they are not overdue, and if no one has placed a written request for the materials. Fines are charged for overdue materials and are assessed directly to your student account. Charges for lost materials include the replacement cost of an item, a handling fee, and the overdue charge.The Reserve Desk is located on the first floor of the library at the checkout desk.  Reserve materials are located on closed shelves and may be borrowed for periods stipulated in an instructor's request.

Mailing Services 206-281-2077

The University's Mailing Services sells stamps and will mail packages for faculty, staff and students. A fax machine is also available. You may send mail on-campus by dropping your letter in the mail slot at the SUB. Students living on campus may obtain a campus mailbox. Boxes are assigned during registration for fall quarter and student mail is delivered each morning, Monday through Saturday, between 10:00 am and Noon.


The service of the Ombudsperson is available for all students to assist in the resolution of problems and to enable the Seattle Pacific community to better meet students' needs. The Ombudsperson works together with University staff and the student to expedite communication and solve problems. For more information about this service, contact the University Registrar at (206) 281-2548.


Parking 206-281-2922

Motorized vehicles brought to campus should be registered with the Safety and Security Office (601 West Emerson) even if you do not park in an assigned university parking lot. You may register your vehicle by applying at the Safety and Security office. Any of the University parking lots may be used without paid registration/specific authorization after 4 p.m., and during the summer break. However, if you arrive on campus during a school day, you will need to buy a parking pass from Security or park on the street. (Call 206-281-2911 in an emergency).


CSS Printing Services 206-281-2622

CSS Printing Services will photocopy resumes, flyers, papers, personal announcements, etc. Folding, cutting, and special binding services are provided. Other copy machines are located in the Library.

Recreation, Intermurals, and Athletics 206-281-2891

If you enjoy recreational activities, you may join an established intramural team or form your own for any of 26 men's, 25 women's, or 15 co-ed activities.

Safety and Security 206-281-2922; 206-281-2911 (emergency)

Safety and Security helps maintain a safe environment for the Seattle Pacific University community. Please assist this office by reporting any suspicious circumstances you observe.

This office operates a 24-hour, seven days per week patrol. Security officers will jump start dead batteries and provide other automobile services.

Escort services are available for lone faculty, staff, and students who need to walk to different areas of the campus after dark. This service is offered in the interest of safety, not convenience, and is restricted to the confines of the campus.

Student Academic Services (SAS) 206-281-2031

Student Academic Services manages all aspects of quarterly registration, including the dropping and adding of courses, verifying student academic standing and credits, processing student applications for graduation, approving requests for grading options, and maintaining academic files on all present and former students.

SAS handles requests for transcripts and also has information regarding upcoming registration dates.

Student Financial Services (SFS) 206-281-2061

SFS services include account settlement (requires coming in personally to sign for loans), select payment plans, financial information, and medical insurance.

Experienced financial aid advisors are available in this office to help students find ways to supplement financial resources for educational purposes. The direct line for financial aid is 206-281-2046.


Student Union Building 206-281-2000

The Student Union Building houses Uni-Com, Falcon's Landing, a Commuter Lounge, the Office of Student Life, student mailboxes, and other student services.

Therapist Referral List

There is a list of agencies and individual therapists who do therapy at a reduced rate.  This list is available on Blackboard.

Ticket Offices 206-281-2000

Tickets for athletic events are generally available at the door, but they may be purchased earlier at the Uni-Com desk in the SUB.

Tickets for cultural programs and campus concerts are usually available at the Uni-Com desk, along with information regarding time, cost, and location.

UNI-COM 206-281-2000

The University Communications Center (Uni-Com) is a campus information and service desk located on the first floor of the Student Union Building.

Uni-Com answers general University phone calls and welcomes visitors and guests to SPU. The Uni-Com staff assists with food vending and games, issues temporary parking permits, sells tickets to campus and community events, administers a lost and found service, validates l.D. cards, updates the kiosks and SUB bulletin boards, and rents SUB lockers.



<< Back to 2008–09 Graduate Catalog Home