Benefits of Mentorship
Having a mentor can improve your future success and grow your professional knowledge. Every mentor experience helps, even if you change your career direction down the road. As a participant, you can:
- Gain from your mentor’s knowledge, skills, values, experience, and expertise.
- Grow your awareness of both potential obstacles and opportunities.
- Receive feedback in key areas such as communications, interpersonal relationships, technical abilities, and leadership skills.
- Increase clarity of what is needed to grow both personally and professionally.
- Learn specific skills that help you reach your goals.
- Explore and experience a variety of organizational cultures.
Expectations and Commitments
As a participant in the SPU Mentor Program and representative of Seattle Pacific University, you’ll be expected to:
- Initiate contact to schedule meetings promptly.
- Research the business, organization, and individual.
- Plan and present each meeting's agenda.
- Keep meetings as scheduled with your host or mentor.
- Provide ongoing feedback.
- Evaluate the program and your mentor at the conclusion of your mentorship.
- Contact the program staff immediately with any concerns.
While every student’s experience is unique, participation in the program can range between 4-8 weeks from when you submit the SPU Mentor Program intake form to when you are matched with your mentor, Job Shadow host, or Career 360. Here are the steps to consider when you’re planning to participate in the program:
- To participate you will complete an intake form (How to Participate);
- You will be asked to provide a faculty or staff referral on the intake form. The faculty or staff referral is typically completed within one week (letting the faculty or staff member know you listed them as your referral may help them complete the referral more quickly);
- Your intake form will typically be reviewed within one week of when the faculty or staff member completes the referral;
- You will receive an email notifying when your intake form has been reviewed and inviting you to schedule an orientation. This may take 1-2 weeks, depending on your schedule and orientation availability;
- The average search time and placement with a mentor is typically 4-6 weeks from your orientation.
Ready to sign up and participate? Here’s How to Participate