Christian Theology Major
With our distinctive understanding of theological education, which we call “Academy, Abbey, and Apostolate®,” a degree in theology from SPU will help you learn to understand your faith so that, in partnership with the Holy Spirit, you might translate it into a way of life that engages the culture and changes the world.
About the Christian Theology Major
The major program of study in Christian Theology consists of a set of core courses that reflect the full range of theological studies (Christian vocation, ministry and mission, Scripture, heritage, and doctrine). From there, Christian Theology majors are invited to choose one of four areas of concentration:
- Christian Mission includes additional studies in holistic development, cross-cultural studies, and urban ministry in order to equip you for Christian witness and service in global and intercultural settings.
- Christian Scripture includes additional studies in both the Old and the New Testaments, and biblical theology/ethics in order to equip you to interpret Christian Scripture faithfully and thoughtfully.
- Educational Ministry includes additional studies in Christian education, practical ministry, psychology, and human development in order to equip you for Christian witness and service in church and parachurch settings.
- Theological Studies includes additional studies in church history, doctrine, and ethics in order to equip you to articulate the historic Christian faith persuasively and graciously in contemporary contexts.
To apply to the Theology major/minors or to view your degree progress, sign in to Banner, select "Grades and Transcripts," and then "Undergraduate Degree Status Check."
(Note: If you were accepted into one of our majors before September 1, 2012, your curricular requirements will not change and your transcript will reflect the name of the major to which you were accepted. Your Banner account will reflect an accurate checklist of courses under the former major structure, based on the Undergraduate Catalog from the year you were accepted into the major.)
The Christian Theology major is intended to nurture the skills and capacities required of a thoughtful and articulate faith. As a result of majoring in Christian Theology, you will be well prepared either for the workplace or for graduate study in theology, the humanities, or the professions. Besides enriching your life with God, this major also seeks to enhance your service to the church.
After graduation, you'll be equipped to serve in roles inside and outside the church.
Courses and Degree Requirements
As a Christian Theology major, you will be required to take 57–64 credits, including at least 44–50 upper-division credits (depending on your chosen concentration). Review all the Christian Theology major courses and requirements.
Undergraduate students in the School of Theology have worked in churches, parachurch organizations, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
To find information about possible theology-related internships and employment opportunities, you have many resources available, including:
- SPU’s internship and job-posting system, SPULink, is updated weekly with ministry, church, and service positions. Students and employers regularly make use of this site.
- SPU’s Center for Career and Calling (CCC) provides employment and internship resources for students and employers. Contact CCC at 206-281-2485 or email@example.com.
- Open ministry, church, and service internships and jobs are posted on the Internships and Jobs Bulletin Board on the first floor of Alexander Hall. Organizations and employers can email firstname.lastname@example.org to post a position.
Why I Teach at SPU
Douglas Koskela, Associate Professor of Theology
"I teach at SPU because it offers an ideal context in which to live out the vocation of a teacher-scholar. I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to think, talk, and act on things that matter with people who care."
Financing Your Education
Seattle Pacific helped award over $100 million in financial aid for 2014–15. See how we can design a financial aid package for you.