Alternative Routes to Certification Online
School districts have long sought out SPU-educated teachers for both their competence and character. The Alternative Routes to Certification Online program integrates Residency Teacher Certification with a Master of Arts in Teaching degree in a full-time, one-year, online program. Today, more than two-thirds of the candidates SPU recommends to the state of Washington for a Residency Teacher Certificate have completed a master's degree.
Who Should Pursue This Degree
If you hold an undergraduate degree and want to earn both teaching certification and a master's degree concurrently, and you live outside the Puget Sound area, the ARC-Online program may be right for you. Although the ARC-Online program appeals to a wide variety of applicants, paraprofessionals, instructional assistants, and non-certified teachers in private schools find the format especially helpful, since these positions facilitate completion of internship requirements.
The ARC-Online program is designed for applicants residing in rural Washington. Those residing within the Puget Sound region, with a one-way commute from their residence to the SPU campus using private transportation longer than 1.75 hours, are also encouraged to apply. Applicants who do not meet the rural residence or commute requirement, may appeal location and travel policies by including a statement describing unique employment or family circumstances they believe warrant consideration for an exception.
Teacher candidates in the ARC-Online program at SPU
- Earn a Washington Residency Teacher Certificate
- Complete a Master of Arts in Teaching, which offers greater teaching expertise and a higher position on the salary scale
- Progress through the program with fellow students in a cohort
- Enjoy personalized advising and mentoring from faculty and staff
- Take part in a full-time, year-long internship experience with diverse learners
- Learn from technology instruction embedded in the curriculum.
- Create a personalized Teacher Development Plan.
- Receive guaranteed enrollment in certification courses
The program outline includes a description of program components, schedule, coursework, and internship. The official degree requirements for this program are shown in the SPU Graduate Catalog according to the year candidates are admitted.
What is required for admission to the ARC-Online program? Find information about admission requirements and procedures.
Did You Know?
SPU also offers a two-year, part-time MAT program to earn teacher certification and a master’s degree concurrently.