Students from the United States are not meeting standards in math and science at the same rate as other countries. Many experts believe that the best way to improve student performance on STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) exams is to increase the number of quality STEM teachers and support them with significant professional development. SPU designed the Accelerated Master in Teaching Math and Science (AMTMS) program to meet just this need.
Who Should Pursue This Degree
Do you want to teach mathematics or one of the sciences at the middle school, junior high, or senior high level? If you hold an undergraduate degree and want to earn teaching certification with a mathematics or science endorsement concurrently with a master’s degree, then this program is for you.
Although similar to other SPU teacher certification and master’s degree programs (MAT, AMAT), the AMTMS program provides candidates with courses specifically tailored to teaching styles appropriate for math and science content, rather than general curricula applicable to most subject-area endorsements.
Teacher candidates in the AMTMS program at SPU
- earn a Washington Residency Teacher Certificate;
- engage in a full-time year-long student teaching internship with diverse learners;
- gain knowledge and skills to impact student learning;
- explore tensions and possibilities for social justice teaching;
- learn from experienced mentor teachers and field supervisors;
- progress through the program with fellow students in a cohort;
- experience personalized advising across the program, from admission to job search;
- complete a Master in Teaching Mathematics and Science degree for higher placement on the salary schedule.
The program outline includes a description of program components, schedule, coursework, and internship. The official degree requirements for this program are shown in the SPU Graduate Catalog according to the year candidates are admitted.
What is required for admission to the AMTMS degree? Find information about admission requirements and procedures.