International Students

45 different countries are represented at SPU.

International Students Counselor

Have questions? Contact International Admissions Counselor Lisa Hirayama, at

Who Is an International Student?
  • Students legally in the United States, but not a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.

  • Students who are not immigrants to the U.S. and are here on a temporary U.S. visa (most commonly an F-1 student visa).

Should I apply as a first year, transfer, or post-baccalaureate student?
  • Apply as a first year student if you are coming to SPU directly after your high school graduation.
  • Apply as a transfer student if you earned transferable credit from a college or university after graduating high school, but not a bachelor’s degree.
  • Apply as a post-baccalaureate student if you have already earned a bachelor’s degree and are seeking additional baccalaureate-level studies.
  • Apply as a graduate student if you want admission to a master’s-level program.
  • Apply as a dual-enrolled student if you are a high school student who has completed college coursework through programs such as Running Start.
Application Deadlines

Autumn Quarter Dates
(begins late September and ends mid-December)

Winter Quarter
(begins early January and ends mid-March)

Spring Quarter
(begins late March and ends mid-June)

Summer Quarter

*If you are a transfer or post-baccalaureate student and want direct admission to nursing, please see the application requirements on our nursing apply page. You must also provide additional application materials to the Prelicensure Nursing Program.

If you intend to study nursing but are not yet ready to apply for the major, you are welcome to apply for admission to the University in the Autumn, Winter, or Spring quarter.

For international students at SPU, there's more to the future than just making money.