Numerous faculty positions at colleges and universities go unfilled each year due to a lack of qualified candidates. In fact, there is a need for quality teacher education programs at the university level nationwide. SPU is helping to address both these needs through its Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Education, a research-based program designed to prepare students to serve as college- and university-level educators.
Who Should Pursue This Degree
If you are an experienced educator and are interested in becoming a college- or university-level educator who is able both to teach effectively and to conduct publishable research and other scholarly work, then this program is for you.
Designed for working professionals, the PhD program offers most classes on Saturdays and on some weekday evenings (usually 4:30–7:05 p.m.). In summer, classes may be offered during the day.
A PhD in Education is the preferred degree for teaching in higher education. Seattle Pacific’s program is designed to provide the appropriate blend of rigor, best practice, and original research to prepare you for a university career. The program emphasizes teaching and learning theory, research design, and university teaching. Benefits of the program include
- small, focused classes with personalized instruction,
- an excellent faculty with proven expertise and a strong desire to help students succeed in the program,
- a sense of community that helps students develop supportive relationships,
- a comprehensive research component that prepares students to explore and understand both quantitative and qualitative research designs,
- opportunities for involvement in undergraduate and graduate teacher preparation programming,
- special opportunities for funding to conduct physics education research.
The program outline includes a description of program components, program schedule, course requirements, suggested course sequence, and prerequisite coursework. The official degree requirements for this graduate program are stated in the SPU Graduate Catalog in effect when you are accepted to this program.
What is required for admission to the PhD program? Find information about admission requirements and procedures. The official admission requirements for this graduate program are stated in the SPU Graduate Catalog in effect when you are accepted to this program.