What distinguishes SPU's doctoral programs?
- Designed for full-time working educators
- Cohort-based programs with small classes, personalized instruction, and a sense of community
- Expert faculty with a desire to help students succeed
- Opportunities for involvement in undergraduate and graduate programming at SPU
- Focus on educational research, theory, and practice applicable to current needs of schools
- Clear differentiation between empirical, research-focused degree (PhD) and practitioner degree (EdD)
The EdD at SPU is a degree program for school leaders and educators who want to develop as practitioners. It is designed to prepare you for a variety of leadership positions, such as superintendent or district office administrator, in the P–12 educational system. Learn more
SPU's PhD in Education is a degree program for educators who want to develop as scholar-teachers. It is designed to prepare you to become a college- or university-level educator capable of both teaching and conducting publishable research. Learn more
Counselor Education (PhD)
This PhD program at SPU is for counselors who want to develop as scholar-teachers. It is designed to prepare you to teach school counseling at the graduate level and to conduct publishable research. Learn more
Digital Education Leadership (EdD)
This EdD program is for educators with a strong interest in educational technology who want to become digital education leaders in their districts or universities. Designed for working professionals, all courses in this program are online, with weekly real-time web conferences. Learn more.
Core Doctoral Program
All doctoral students in the School of Education, regardless of their terminal degree, take the same foundation courses, including a Leadership Colloquium. These core classes are designed to develop leadership by focusing on knowledge applicable to all fields and levels of education. You will then begin your individual course sequence and specialization, which culminates in Comprehensive Exams, and a Dissertation. The schedule and requirements are described in more detail under each degree.