Students from the United States are not meeting standards in math and science at the same rate as other countries. Many experts believe that the best way to improve student performance on STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) exams is to increase the number of quality STEM teachers and support them with significant professional development. SPU designed the Accelerated Master in Teaching Math and Science (AMTMS) program to meet just this need.
Who Should Pursue This Degree
If you hold an undergraduate degree and want to earn both teaching certification and a master's degree concurrently and you live outside the Puget Sound area, the AMTMS-Online program may be right for you. Although the AMTMS-Online program appeals to a wide variety of applicants, including those who are changing careers, teachers on Conditional and Emergency Certificates and non-certified teachers in private schools find the format especially helpful, since these positions facilitate completion of internship requirements.
The AMTMS-Online program is designed for applicants residing in rural Washington. Those residing within the Puget Sound region with a one-way commute from their residence to the SPU campus, using private transportation, longer than 1.75 hours are also encouraged to apply. Applicants who do not meet the rural residence or commute requirement may appeal location and travel policies by including a statement describing unique employment or family circumstances they believe warrant consideration for an exception.
Teacher candidates in the AMTMS-Online program at SPU
- earn a Washington Residency Teacher Certificate;
- engage in a full-time year-long student teaching internship with diverse learners;
- gain knowledge and skills to impact student learning;
- explore tensions and possibilities for social justice teaching;
- learn from experienced mentor teachers and field supervisors;
- progress through the program with fellow students in a cohort;
- experience personalized advising across the program, from admission to job search;
- complete a Master in Teaching Mathematics and Science degree for higher placement on the salary schedule.
The program outline includes a description of program components, schedule, coursework, and internship. The official degree requirements for this program are shown in the SPU Graduate Catalog according to the year candidates are admitted.
What is required for admission to the AMTMS-Online program? Find information about admission requirements and procedures.