Undergraduate Admissions


Apply Now




Visit SPU
Admissions Staff
Contact Us


University Ministries
Study Abroad

Transfer Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Are Running Start students considered transfer students?

No. Students enrolled in college-level courses before graduating from high school must apply as freshmen. However, college credits will transfer under the same policies as all transfer students.

How many students transfer to SPU?

Each year approximately 300 students transfer to SPU.

What is the minimum GPA needed in order to transfer?

Typically, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is needed to be eligible for admission.

What is the minimum number of credits needed to transfer?

There is no minimum number of credits needed to transfer. Once you have completed at least one college course after graduating from high school, you are considered a transfer student. Students with less than 45 quarter credits (30 semester units) must submit an official high school transcript and SAT or ACT score.

When should I apply?

The priority deadline for financial aid is April 1, but SPU accepts applications for any quarter.

Do transfer students need to submit a high school transcript?

A high school transcript is required only if you have completed less than 45 quarter credits (30 semester units) at the time of application. However, if you took three years or more of a foreign language in high school with a "C" grade or better in the final course, this will fulfill our foreign language proficiency requirement. In this case, you should submit your official high school transcript to prove proficiency.

Do transfer students need to submit SAT or ACT scores?

Official SAT or ACT scores are required only if you have completed less than 45 quarter credits (30 semester units) at the time of application. A score of 580 or higher on the math section of the SAT, or 25 or higher on the math section of the ACT, will exempt a student from the math proficiency requirement. In this case you should submit your official test score.

Do transfer students need to submit a College Report through the Common Application?

Even though SPU does not require Registrar forms, you will still need to complete this step in the Common Application. Follow these steps to complete the Registrar forms:

  • After you log into the Common Application, go to the dashboard and select Seattle Pacific University
  • Under the application section, select assign recommenders
  • Under the registrar section, click on invite registrar

You will be taken to a screen that says recommender invitations

  • Under type, select registrar
  • Under title, select either Mr. or Mrs.
  • For first name, type SPU
  • For last name, type transfer
  • For email address, type transfertospu@gmail.com
  • Click send invite in the red box on this screen. Now the recommender information should appear below on the list

Finally, go back to My Colleges (one of the main tabs at the top of the screen). If you look at the menu on the left under Seattle Pacific University, there should now be a green check mark next to assign recommenders.

When do I apply for my major?

Students applying to transfer directly into SPU's nursing program must submit a nursing application along with the university application by Januray 15. The nursing program accepts students only once per year for Autumn Quarter.

Students wishing to apply for the visual communication major must submit a portfolio during Spring Quarter. Contact Professor of Art Roger Feldman (rfeldman@spu.edu).

Students applying for any other major must complete their first quarter in their major program before applying.

Are there any scholarships available?

Yes. Learn more about scholarships.

How do I apply for financial aid?

To receive need-based financial aid, you must file your free application for federal student aid (FAFSA), which can be done at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You must also be admitted before any financial aid will be awarded.

Can transfer students live on campus?

On campus housing is guaranteed for students who are 20 years or younger at the start of the academic year. Housing may be available to transfer students on a space availability basis. For more information about on campus housing, check out the Housing website along with the Residence Life website.


Email: transfer@spu.edu or call 800-366-3344

My World

Meet Meredith Teague
Meet Chrissy Hughes. This sophomore has been to the U.S. Figure Skating Championships four times, and won the Junior Grand Prix twice.

After you learn about Chrissy, go ahead and meet other interesting SPU students at the My World Gallery.