On-Campus Employment: Students

Working SPU students play a key role all across campus. As a student employee, you not only earn while you learn, you also help keep the University moving ahead in our mission to engage the culture and change the world.

Seattle Pacific offers two student employment programs for on-campus jobs: the Federal Work Study Program and the Institutional Work Study Program. As a student, you can apply for any on-campus job regardless of your financial need.

Federal Work Study Program

Eligibility for the Federal Work Study Program is based on demonstrated financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The Office of Student Employment, located in Student Financial Services, monitors student earnings under the Federal Work Study Program. Student employees are paid every other week through the Student Payroll office.

Note: Positions in the Bookstore, Campus Dining, University Ministries, School of Theology, Center for Biblical and Theological Education, and student government jobs (ASSP) are not eligible for Federal Work Study funds.

Institutional Work Study Program

The Institutional Work Study Program is available to those students who do not demonstrate financial need based on the FAFSA. Student earnings for the Institutional Work Study Program come directly from University funding. Student employees are paid every other week through the Student Payroll office.

Handshake guide

Need help navigating the Handshake system? Use our step-by-step guide to help you find jobs, upload documents, sign up for events, and more!

Getting hired on campus

Depending on availability of funds and your specific Program eligibility, you will be hired under either the Federal Work Study Program or the Institutional Work Study Program. You must be enrolled at least half-time and maintain satisfactory academic progress to be a student employee.

Volunteer opportunities

Along with regular employment opportunities, you may want to consider community service volunteer opportunities provided by SPU. Visit the John Perkins Center site for more information.

Keep in mind
  • Work study is not guaranteed. If you are awarded work study, it simply means that you are eligible to participate. Due to limited funding, the Work Study Programs run essentially on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • In order to use a work study award, it is required that you locate a work study job.
  • All work study earnings are considered personal income and subject to taxes.
  • The amount you earn cannot exceed what you have been awarded. If you work on-campus and exhaust your Federal Work Study award, you will be automatically switched to the Institutional Work Study Program. Contact the student employment coordinator at 206-281-2047 or ose@spu.edu for more information.
  • SPU will pay you directly.
  • If you are using your wages to pay your account, it is your responsibility to make that payment. You are not required to pay your earnings directly to SPU.