On-Campus Employment: Supervisors
The Student Employment program is designed to assist our students in financing their education, developing essential job skills, and enhancing their SPU experience. As the supervisor, you have the most impact on the students’ work and experience. We appreciate your efforts and are here for you. Below you’ll find tools and information for supervising your students.
Student employment policies
Download the Student Employee Supervisor Handbook for answers to these questions and many more:
- How many credits do student employees have to be enrolled in?
- What’s the maximum number of hours a student can work?
- When do I have to give a student employee breaks and meal periods?
- What do I do if a student has unreported hours and the time sheet is already submitted?
Setting up a student employee checklist
Use this guide to ensure a smooth process for your office and your new student employee.
- Does this position already exist in Banner?
- Advertise the position in the SPULink employer portal (SPULink Employer User Guide).
- Interview students who apply and select a finalist. Email students who were not selected to notify them that the position is now closed.
- Tell the finalist that he or she will be required to complete an I-9 Form and W-4 Form upon official hiring. The I-9 Form must be completed within the first three days of employment.
- Complete an ePAF (Electronic Personnel Action Form) in Banner to officially hire the student using these instructions (PDF).
- Send the student the instructions for how to submit timesheets (PDF).
- Check on the status of the ePAF as well as the student’s documents using these instructions.
- Have an orientation to get your student acquainted with the position and your office.
If you have questions, contact the student employment coordinator at 206-281-2047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.