International Students Application Process

International students interested in pursuing an education at Seattle Pacific University should follow the procedures listed below.

First year students must submit the following:
Completed Application. 
  • First year students apply using the Common Application
  • First year applicants must complete the member section questions, which are additional questions unique to SPU. These questions help us get to know you even better. They give us some insight into why you have chosen to apply to SPU and why SPU might be a great fit for you.
  • An application fee waiver is available to international applicants. Learn more.
Proof of English proficiency
Your official academic records
Transfer and post-baccalaureate students must submit the following:
Application. Apply using one of the following:  
  • Seattle Pacific University Transfer Application: SPU's application designed specifically for transfer and post-baccalaureate students. An application fee waiver is available; contact us for further information.
  • The Common Application: Undergraduate college application used by more than 500 member colleges. Transfer and post-baccalaureate students complete the "Transfer Application" in the Common Application portal. An application fee waiver is available; learn more hereNote: The Common Application is not available for Fall 2018 applicants.
  • NursingCAS: All transfer and post-baccalaureate students applying to the Lydia Green Nursing Program must apply for admission via NursingCAS. A $50 application fee is required.
Proof of English proficiency
Your official academic records
English Proficiency

Your potential for academic success at SPU is one of our highest considerations, and therefore students who are non-native English speakers must demonstrate English proficiency.

 You can establish your English proficiency by submitting the official results from one of the following tests:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
  • PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English)
  • EIKEN (for native Japanese speakers)

 SPU does not offer ESL (English as a Second Language) classes, but you can complete the English program at the INTERLINK Language Center which is located on the SPU campus or at the Washington Academy of Languages (W.A.L.) which is located nearby in downtown Seattle. 

If you choose this option, you must complete level 6 and receive a full recommendation from INTERLINK or W.A.L. You then will not be required to submit an English proficiency score.

SAT and ACT Tests

Seattle Pacific University does not require the SAT or ACT for international applicants.

However, if you are a freshman applicant and have taken either exam, you are encouraged to submit your scores as additional evidence of your academic ability. Sufficiently high reading and writing scores may exempt you from the English proficiency test requirement. Please consult with the international admissions counselor for more information.

If you are a freshman applicant and a native speaker of English, you are strongly encouraged to submit SAT or ACT scores because English proficiency test results are not required for you. SAT/ACT scores can have a positive impact on the review of your application.

Remember: To be considered official, your scores must be sent by the testing agency, or be included on an official high school transcript.

  • When taking the SAT, you can identify your request to have your scores sent to SPU by including SPU’s test code 4694.
  • When taking the ACT, the code for SPU is 4476.
Academic Records

All academic records must have the official stamp or seal from the issuing institution and must be sent directly from the school or another authorized institution to SPU in a sealed envelope.

We recognize that every country has its own unique educational system. Please consult with the SPU international admissions counselor for country-specific requirements.

  • Documents must be issued in English.* 
  • We cannot accept copies of records that were issued to the applicant.
  • We cannot accept unofficial photocopies, faxes, or scanned/emailed documents.

*If your records have already been translated by the issuing school, or translated and notarized by a translation service, that translation is acceptable. If not, contact our international admissions counselor for assistance locating  professional translating services. We cannot accept translations that have been done by you; the translator must be a trained and certified professional.

If you are a freshman applicant, please arrange to have your official transcripts sent to SPU from each high school or secondary school attended for grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 (if available), or the equivalent years in your country.

Include grade 9, even if it was part of middle school/junior high school in your country.

If you have completed secondary school exams (A levels, HKCEE, WAEC, SMA, etc.), please submit an official copy of your final exam certificate or diploma that shows all coursework completed and grades received.

If you are a transfer applicant, please arrange to have official transcripts sent to SPU from each college or university attended, both in the U.S. and outside the U.S. If you have completed 45 college-level/transferable quarter credits (30 semester credits) or more, you are not required to submit high school transcripts.