Here are some big questions to ponder:
- What images linger in your mind after reading the book?
- What was your mood as you finished the book?
- What connections did you make?
- What characters and passages especially stood out? Why are the protagonists nameless?
- Are you spurred to action for events happening in the here and now?
- How do you think the long-term trauma of the Japanese internment will affect the family?
- How are you changed after reading the book?
Let’s compare and contrast our responses to this book. Share your thoughts about When the Emperor Was Divine here.