In order to complete your graduate application, the following items must be received by Graduate Admissions prior to the program’s published deadline.
- Creative Manuscript: This manuscript will be given special attention. The applicant must submit 10 pages of verse poetry or 25 to 30 double-spaced pages of prose in fiction or creative nonfiction in the student’s chosen genre. In the case of prose, the applicant must decide whether to send an excerpt of a longer manuscript or stories or essays that fall within the page limit. The steering committee does not accept fiction applications with writing samples that are in genre fiction (science fiction, fantasy, romance, mystery, western, et cetera).
Commencing immediately, we are accepting verse and prose submissions for our new, fourth genre as well: Spiritual Writing: Mixed Genre; these will be considered for admission for our summer, 2023 residency and thereafter. Manuscripts should be converted to a PDF file and sent to GradAdmissions@spu.edu. Include your full name and degree identification (MFA) on the manuscript and in the body of the email.
- Personal Essay: Applicants must also submit a three- to four-page (double-spaced) personal essay describing their development as a writer and as a person of faith. It is not necessary to take a strictly chronological approach, nor is it necessary to tell us about various childhood literary productions. We would also be interested to learn why the applicant applied to the MFA program and which contemporary writers have been influential. Upload essay in the online application form.
- Recommendation Letters: Three recommendations must be submitted. Two should be focused on the applicant’s abilities as a writer. At least one should touch on the applicant’s academic achievements. The online application form is a guide to contact recommenders. They will submit their letters electronically. If the applicant cannot find recommenders who can address these topics, they should simply get the best three recommendations available.
- Your résumé.
- Application Fee: A $50 nonrefundable application fee is required. This fee cannot be waived. Financial aid is available in the form of student loans. Applicants must apply for these funds within the deadlines outlined on the application form.
- Official Transcripts: Though GRE scores are not required, the applicant must have a bachelor’s degree, and must submit official transcripts from previous schools attended via post.
- Send Transcripts: Mail transcripts to the following address: Graduate Admissions, Seattle Pacific University, 3307 Third Avenue West, Suite 115-G, Seattle, Washington, 98119-1922.
International student applicants
In addition to the general admission requirements listed above, international students must also submit:
All official transcripts must be submitted in English. International applicants are responsible for all costs associated with this service.