“I tell my story every time I pick up a paintbrush.”
Blood/Water/Paint is the harrowing true story of 17th century Italian painter Artemisia Gentileschi. As a young woman, Artemisia practices her father’s craft and quickly eclipses him — often completing painting commissions for which he takes credit. When Artemisia is violently betrayed by the sexual assault of a trusted mentor, she does the unthinkable — she fights against the church, the courts, and the status quo to take her rapist to trial.
Throughout the play, Artemisia seeks the council of biblical heroines Judith and Susanna, the subjects of her most famous paintings. As she imbues these storied women with courage and authority, she develops her own power to conquer an unjust world.
October 28–30 & November 3–6
All shows at 7:30 p.m., except the October 30 matinee at 2:30 p.m.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY:
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination will be required as a condition of entry for anyone who is not a current SPU student or employee.
- All current SPU students and employees will need to show their SPU ID card upon entering the event.
- All audience members must wear masks at all times.
- Rape and Sexual Assault (not depicted on stage)
- Mental and Emotional Abuse
- Brief Instances of Strong Language
Recommended Age: 16+
This is a recommendation. Please use parental/guardian discretion.