Perkins Center Prize 2023
This year, we will have up to two prizes to award in scholarship for students who will attend SPU in 2023-24 academic year. Each eligible finalists, if selected, will receive a tuition scholarship to Seattle Pacific University for 2023-24.
Two finalist may be chosen from among the entries received. The eligible finalist will receive a tuition scholarship to Seattle Pacific University for the 2023-24 academic year divided over 3 quarters (fall, winter, spring).
Perkins Center First Prize: $2,000 SPU Scholarship
Perkins Center Second Prize: $1,000 SPU Scholarship
For Eligibility details see the Details & Entry Forms at the bottom.
Entries must be original works by the entrants and must not infringe copyright or proprietary rights of any other person.
One entry per person.
Entries must include completed Writing Prize entry form (including parental/guardian signature for minors).
Entrants must give the John Perkins Center and SPU consent to publish and use the submission.
Entrants must be persons who will be enrolled full time at SPU in the 2023-24 academic year.
Winners will be presented in April 2023 during the Annual Perkins Lecture Series.
The writing prompts are included on the Details & Entry Forms and are intended to help entrants focus their writing on Dr. Perkins' principles of Relocation, Reconciliation, and Redistribution.
Written entries may take essay form, research paper form, or story form.
- Writing length should not exceed 2,000 words.
- Entries must be written by the entrant and be original work.
- Quotations and facts that are not common knowledge should include proper citations.
- Entries must focus on a social justice topic or issue by clearly communicating an answer to one of the included prompts.
- Entries will be judged based on creativity, originality, and/or the potential for the findings or program to be utilized and implemented.
- Entries must be emailed or postmarked by April 3, 2023.
- Please include/attach the entry forms and a high-resolution picture of yourself (for presentation purposes).
- Email electronic submissions (as a PDF or Word document) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hard copy entries can be dropped off in a manila envelope to the John Perkins Center (SUB 225) or mailed to:
The John Perkins Center - SPU
Attn: Writing Prize
3307 Third Ave W Suite 207
Seattle, WA 98119
Please contact email@example.com with any questions or (206) 281-2183 with any questions.
Details and forms are here.