Why is SPU’s MAM-HR program distinctive?
Five key reasons:
- A curriculum grounded on ethics and values. Drawing on our Christian heritage, we emphasized an ethics-based approach long before it was popular to do so. We emphasize meaningful purpose in business, and serving others: customers, employees, and community.
- Small class sizes. You’ll get to know faculty and fellow students in our personal and interactive learning environment. Faculty care about you as a person and as a professional.
- High quality. This is a fully accredited, academically rigorous, and challenging program. It is taught by qualified faculty and representatives from industry with substantial in-the-field expertise. We stress applied learning.
- Connectedness. You will network with peers, alumni, and business community mentors.
- Flexibility. You can start in any quarter, and you can proceed at a pace that fits with the demands on your life. International students have separate guidelines that pertain to their F-1 status and/or government sponsorship.
What is the profile of your current student body?
The average MAM-HR student has a 540 GMAT score, 292 GRE score, 3.41 GPA, two years of work experience, and a diverse professional background. Most work full time in a wide range of companies or nonprofits. Companies represented by students have included Amazon, Boeing, and King County Public Health.
Is SBGE AACSB accredited?
Yes. Organized in 1916, AACSB — Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International — is the oldest and most prestigious business school accrediting body in the world. Fewer than 40 percent of North American business schools have attained this accreditation.
How are your programs connected to the Seattle business community?
Our Executive Advisory Board links us to the Puget Sound business community. The Mentor Program matches students one on one with business professionals. Business leaders serve as guest speakers, sources for team projects, and informal advisors. Our graduate programs, along with the Center for Integrity in Business, sponsor the quarterly “Faith & the Marketplace” speaker series.
What career services are available?
We offer a wide variety of career and professional development opportunities including career counseling, job search coaching, résumé development, workshops and seminars, networking events, and mentoring. Employment opportunities are posted on Handshake at SPU’s Center for Career and Calling.
How long does it take to complete the MAM-HR program?
The length of the program depends on the number of MAM-HR classes satisfied by undergraduate coursework and potential transfer credits from previous graduate-level coursework. The table below describes the length of the program for students who register for three, six, or nine credits. The table is not adjusted for any prior coursework that may apply.
Credits per quarter
Quarters (including summer)
Years to complete degree
Total program length is 57 quarter credits. See the Catalog policies.
When do classes meet?
Evening and weekend courses are scheduled to accommodate students with active work schedules. Courses are generally designed to meet one evening, three hours per week, for 11 weeks.
Is it possible to take classes before being admitted to the program?
Yes, you may take up to three MAM-HR core courses. As a pre-qualified student, you must have had at least one year of continuous full-time work experience after completion of an undergraduate degree with a 3.0 GPA.
I’ve taken some of the MAM-HR courses at another university. Can any courses be waived?
If your previous coursework satisfies the course content of our MAM-HR courses and adheres to the criteria below, you may have satisfied some classes. A decision will be made once you are admitted to the program, and will be discussed in your first advising meeting. However, you must complete at least 45 credits in SPU’s MAM-HR program.
- If you earned a bachelor’s degree within seven years* of admission to the program that included courses covering the same body of knowledge as foundations courses:
- Courses in which you earned a minimum grade of B may fulfill foundations courses with comparable content.
- A course taken for pass/no credit cannot fulfill a foundations course requirement.
- In order to fulfill the BUS 6170 requirement, a course must have been completed with a minimum grade of B within three years of admission to the MBA program.
- If you completed a bachelor’s degree more than seven years prior to admission to the program, or if the grade in the undergraduate course is below B but not below C+:
- You may take a competency examination in the subject.
- Competency tests must be completed within the year following your date of admission to the program.
- If the competency examination is successfully completed, the applicable foundations course will be considered fulfilled.
- If you do not successfully complete the competency exam, you must take the graduate course or complete it via credit by examination for which tuition and an examination fee are charged.
My colleague took continuing professional education courses. Can I transfer continuing professional education coursework to the MAM-HR program?
A maximum of three 5000-level SBGE continuing professional education credits in HR (BUS 5017 for example) can be applied to the MAM-HR requirements in place of BUS 6300.
I already hold a master’s degree. Can I apply to the MAM-HR program?
Yes. Students who hold a master’s degree in a different field are welcome. You are not required to submit GMAT or GRE scores. Depending on your graduate coursework, you may be able to transfer up to nine credits.
Applying to the MAM-HR program
What materials are required for admission?
- Online application
- Application fee
- Current résumé
- Official transcript(s)
- GMAT or GRE scores
- Personal essay
International Student Applicants
- Course-by-course transcript evaluation (international students)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores
- Declaration of International Student Finances form
When are the application deadlines?
| Quarter/Starting Month
|| Application Deadline
|| August 1
|| November 1
|| February 1
|| May 1
International Applicants with F1 Visa
(International applicants who do not need an F1 visa may adhere to the above deadlines.)
|| June 1
|| September 1
|| December 1
|| Admission not available for international students
How much is the application fee?
The application fee is $50.
How do I apply?
You must apply online for all SPU graduate programs.
I took the GMAT exam. Will you accept GMAT scores instead of GRE scores?
Yes. We accept both GMAT and GRE scores.
Is work experience required?
Admittance into the MAM-HR program requires one year of continuous post-bachelor’s work experience. More is preferred.
How long does it take to receive an admission decision?
Once your application file is complete, an admission decision goes out to you within seven to 10 working days.
How often do you accept applicants?
The MAM-HR program enrolls students for autumn, winter, spring, and summer quarters. New international students are not accepted for summer quarter enrollment.
I was accepted to the MAM-HR program. May I defer my admission offer?
Yes. Accepted applicants who wish to postpone their admission may request a deferral. Deferrals, in most cases, will be granted for no more than four quarters.
I was denied admission. May I re-apply?
Yes. You may re-apply to the program for a subsequent quarter. If you decide to retake the GMAT, TOEFL, or IELTS, please have your official scores submitted to the University. If you complete any new coursework, please have your transcript submitted to the University. Your application is saved for one year.
International Student Applicants
I am a prospective international student. How much funding must I have available to obtain an I-20?
The federal government requires international students to demonstrate sufficient funding for at least the first year of graduate study and living expenses. As part of the admission process:
- If you are a privately-sponsored applicant, you will need to submit the Declaration of International Student Finance (DISF) form and all supporting documents. Seattle Pacific University can issue the visa eligibility document that you’ll need in order to have your student visa authorized.
- If you are a government-sponsored applicant, you will need to submit an original award letter (or a certified copy of an award letter). All financial documents must be written in English and valid as of the start date of your first quarter of enrollment.
The process to receive an I-20 can take up to three months, so please adhere to the application deadlines.
I am an international student who still needs to take the TOEFL and GMAT or GRE exams. May I apply for conditional admission?
You may apply for conditional admission in order to apply for scholarships or government sponsorship. You must meet our academic and minimum 1-year work experience requirements, but may not yet meet our English proficiency requirements and/or the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) or GRE (Graduate Record Exam) score requirement. Conditional admission is valid for one year from the date of this application.
I am an international student who received a 3-year bachelor’s degree. May I apply to your MAM-HR program?
A three-year bachelor’s degree from an international institution may or may not allow you to apply to our programs. Our Master’s programs require prior completion of a 4-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution—or an equivalent degree from another country. Because higher education systems vary widely around the world and change over time, SPU requires students to have their academic credentials evaluated by a professional credential evaluator to determine comparability to a U.S. degree. Information about approved evaluation services is available here. Evaluations should be submitted to Graduate Admissions.
I have additional questions about the MAM-HR program. May I visit the SPU campus to learn more about the business graduate programs?
Yes! Our faculty and staff are available to meet with you individually. Contact our graduate director at 206-281-2753 to arrange a visit.
Cost and Financial Aid
What is the cost of tuition?
Tuition is $895 per credit hour for the 2019–20 academic year; other required fees may also apply. The MAM-HR program has 57 credits.
Do you offer scholarships to students in the MAM-HR program?
There are no scholarships available. Besides student loan programs, students should research other sources.