Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the most commonly asked questions by international students. You may contact International Student Services at for more information or for help with other questions.

What are SPU’s most popular majors?

SPU’s most popular majors are listed on the SPU Facts page. You’ll also find information about average class size, the number of academic programs, ethnic diversity, and more.

How many international students attend SPU?

SPU has an active international population — currently approximately about 140 undergraduate students and 40 graduate students. Our international students represent about 52 different countries.

Where do I stay during the school breaks and during the summer?

Typically, during Christmas and spring breaks students living in residence halls must find alternative housing, since halls are closed during this time. Campus apartments remain open during holiday and spring breaks, so you are not required to vacate. You should talk with your Resident Assistant (RA) about the schedule for leaving during school breaks. 

In addition, summer housing may be available. Apply for summer housing through University Services. You may talk with staff in Residence Life at 206-281-2043 if you have questions. Or visit the website for more information.

How can I get a job on-campus? Can I work on-campus?

All F-1 international students are eligible to work on-campus. Employment depends on the availability of jobs and your level of work experience. Learn more about it at the Student Employment website

Are there any accommodations for students with disabilities?

SPU offers accommodations for students with a wide variety of disabilities. If you need special accommodations, contact the Disability Support Services at as soon as possible to see what can be done to accommodate your specific needs.

How can I get involved in campus groups or clubs?

SPU has over 60 student clubs on campus, including the International Student Club. Club information can be found in Engage. Engage is also a great resource for events taking place on-campus.

How can I find a tutor?

There are several different options for getting help with your courses and study skills. Visit the Academic Support Center for information on study tables, tutoring, study courses, and workshops.

If you need help with writing you can get more information by visiting the Research, Writing and Reading Studio.

Where can I find help if I do not understand the classes?

The first person to meet with if you are struggling with understanding a course is your professor. You can meet with them before or after class, or you can reach him or her via the contact information listed in the syllabus. Make sure to let your professor know if you are struggling with the course right away so you do not fall behind in the class. If you need additional help after speaking with your professor you can visit the Academic Support Center. There you can find study tables, tutoring, workshops, and other resources.

How does the bus system work?

Metro Transit offers public transportation throughout King County. Here is information on how to ride the bus

Metro offers a convenient online website to help plan your trip.

You need an ORCA Card to ride the bus. SPU offers discounted passes for students and even the ability to "borrow" a pass for the day for free. Check out these options here.

Getting to Sea-Tac International Airport: Sound Transit offers light rail service from the University of Washington to the airport.

What fun things can I do in Seattle?

Seattle is located in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, which is known for its many hiking trails and outdoor activities. In addition, Seattle has many restaurants, coffee shops (including the original Starbucks), and music events. Learn about some of them.

SPU in located on Queen Anne Hill, and is close to Ballard, Fremont, and South Lake Union

Where can I eat besides the SPU campus?

There is a wide variety of restaurants in Seattle.

To find options you can search restaurants or eateries in:

Pike Place Market in downtown Seattle is an open market comprised of hundreds of farmers, craftspeople, and small businesses. There are hundreds of vendors, many from diverse cultures, selling food, crafts, flowers, and much more.

How can I travel safely locally?

Use a major bus company such as FlixBus or, if you have a driver’s license, you can rent a car. You can also use Uber or a taxi. Seattle also has train service via Amtrak.

Make sure you travel with people that you know and let your friends know where you are going and when you plan to return. Never travel without letting someone close to you know where you will be!

Ashish Singh

Meet Ashish Singh ’07

His plan? Combine his SPU business degree, computer skills, and youth mentoring through a nonprofit organization like Young Life.