Associate Professor of Political Science
Office: McKenna Hall 216
Education: BA, Hillsdale College, 1997; MA, Claremont Graduate University, 1999; PhD, Claremont Graduate University, 2002. At SPU since 2003.
Dr. Caleb Henry's research interests combine political theory and American political history. He is particularly interested in how Locke’s political theory has impacted and continues to impact American political thought.
Dr. Henry’s graduate studies combined political theory and American politics and his SPU classes reflect those interests. He is a prelaw advisor and teaches several classes on American law. He also teaches classes on American institutions, public administration, and city planning. He has developed a Christianity and World Politics class which allows students to study the intersection of Christian theology and world politics.
- “Future Conflicts in Catholic Social Thought,” under review.
- Denise Daniels, Caleb Henry, Brad Murg, “The Future of Christian Higher Education: A Political Economy Analysis,” forthcoming in the Journal of Markets & Morality.
- Reviewed The Pursuit of Happiness in the Founding Era: An Intellectual History, by Carli Conklin. Forthcoming in the Journal of Markets & Morality.
- "Francis and the Great Society," Journal of Church and State (60:68-90), Winter 2018.
- Entries on “John Locke,” “Robert Breck,” and “Political Thought” for the Jonathan Edwards Encyclopedia (published by the Jonathan Edwards Center at Yale University in conjunction with William Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2017).
- Reviewed The Political Theory of the American Founding: Natural Rights, Public Policy, and the Moral Conditions of Freedom, by Thomas G. West. Journal of Markets & Morality 2017: 360-2.
- Henry, Caleb, Denise Daniels, and Bradley Murg. "Whither Christian Higher Education? Past and Present Challenges." The University at a Crossroads: Assessing the Purpose, State, and Future of Christian Higher Education. Ed. T. Castle. Washington DC: American Enterprise Institute, 2017. 14-25.
- Murg, Bradley, Denise Daniels, and Caleb Henry. "Whither Christian Higher Education? Future Trajectories." The University at a Crossroads: Assessing the Purpose, State, and Future of Christian Higher Education. Ed. T. Castle. Washington DC: American Enterprise Institute, 2017. 26-37.
- “Obergefell, Locke, and the Changing Definition of Marriage,” Catholic Social Science Review (21: 55-70). This was published in the fall of 2016.
- Reviewed Rationalism, Pluralism & Freedom, by Jacob Levy. Journal of Markets & Morality (Fall, 2016 edition), 499-502.
- Reviewed Hayek’s Modern Family: Classical Liberalism and the Evolution of Social Institutions, by Steven Horwitz. Journal of Markets & Morality (19: 144-9). This was published in Spring, 2016.
- “Pride, Property and Providence: Jonathan Edwards on Property Rights,” The Journal of Church and State (53: 401-420). This was published in the summer of 2011.
- Reviewed Capitalism and Christianity, American Style, by William E. Connolly. Journal of Church and State (50: 713-715). This was published in Autumn, 2008.
- “Joab: A Biblical Critique of Machiavellian Tactics,” Westminster Theological Journal (69: 327-43). This was published in Fall, 2007.