Associate Professor of Management and Information Systems
Office: McKenna Hall 221
Education: BS, Seattle Pacific University, 1993; MS, Seattle Pacific University, 1997; PhD, Arizona State University, 2004. At SPU since 2004.
Ryan LaBrie began his relationship with Seattle Pacific University as an undergraduate student in the mid-1980s. Prior to completing his BS in Computer Science, he secured a job with the Microsoft Corporation. During his 10-year tenure at Microsoft, he held four different positions — developer support engineer, technical training specialist, and team manager. His final position was as a program manager in the enterprise knowledge management division.
While at Microsoft, he returned to SPU to earn an MS in Information Systems Management. After completing his master's degree, he returned to SPU as an adjunct faculty member (1997–2002), earning the School of Business and Economics Adjunct Instructor of the Year in 1999. Upon leaving Microsoft, he moved his family to Phoenix, Arizona, to complete his doctorate in Computer Information Systems from the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. Dr. LaBrie returned to his alma mater in 2004 as a full-time faculty member and later received tenure in 2009. He was named School of Business, Government, and Economics teacher of the year in 2005–2006.
Dr. LaBrie’s primary stream of research lies within the realm of managing (big) data and knowledge. More recently his research interests lie at the intersection of technology, business ethics, and Christian faith. Dr. LaBrie teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in Information Systems, Data Analytics, Database Management, Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence, and Electronic Commerce. He also teaches seminars on the intersection of faith and technology and has led several business study abroad trips to Asia.
- Anantha, GauriShri and LaBrie, Ryan C. (2017) “A ‘Look’ Into the IS Discipline Through the Lens of MIS Quarterly: A Visual Examination of Scholar Characteristics.” Proceedings of the 50th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, January 4–7, 2017. 10.
- LaBrie, Ryan C., and Williams, Joseph. (2015) “Unified Communications as an Enabler of Workplace Redesign.” Measuring Business Excellence, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 81–91.
- LaBrie, Ryan C., Steinke, Gerhard H., and Tundrea, Emanuel. (2015) “Big Data Privacy Concerns Amidst Global Development.” 15th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference (SGEM2015), Albena, Bulgaria, June 18–24, 2015. Conference Proceedings, Volume 1: Informatics, Geoinformatics, and Remote Sensing, pp. 53–60.
- Cazier, Joseph A., LaBrie, Ryan C., and Steinke, Gerhard H. (2014) “Big Data Ethics: A Longitudinal Study of Consumer, Business, and Societal Perceptions.” Journal of Management Systems, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.23–38.
- LaBrie, Ryan C. (2014) “Seeing 20/30: A Visual History of Key(word) Insights from MIS Quarterly,” Twentieth Americas Conference on Information Systems, Savannah, GA, August 6–10, 2014.
Please view Dr. LaBrie's CV (PDF) for additional publications.