About the Business Administration Major
The Business Administration major provides you with a broad-based education in the fundamental theories, principles, and practices of modern business. You will learn standards of professional and ethical behavior, along with the technical expertise and leadership attributes necessary to attain a variety of positions in business.
As part of the Business Administration major, students also gain vital industry experience by participating in our SBGE internship program. Our students have held internships at leading local businesses and companies such as Starbucks, Boeing, Microsoft, the Seattle Mariners, and Merrill Lynch.
Business Administration students are required to take a total of 98 credits, including a business core of 83 credits focused on the fundamental theories and practices of modern business plus 15 credits towards one of nine concentrations that focuses on a particular aspect of business.
Business Administration students choose one of the following concentrations. Students may select multiple concentrations.
- An Economics concentration will help prepare you for a career in analyzing public policy or forecasting economic conditions.
- A Finance concentration teaches you how to develop budgets for capital projects or work in the financial markets.
- The Information Systems concentration includes problem solving and programming, computer networks, and information and database systems — critical information in this age of technology.
- With an International Business concentration, you participate in a study abroad program with SPU faculty and take specialized courses at a foreign university.
- The Management concentration teaches you how to manage structures, systems, and people.
- A Marketing concentration prepares you to step into the world of customer service, advertising, sales, or product management.
- The Public Policy & Business concentration focuses on coursework in Political Science and Economics to help prepare you to work at the intersection of commerce and government.
- The Social Enterprise concentration draws upon the unique strengths of the School of Business, Government, and Economics in areas such as social venture, management, and microfinance.
- A General concentration is also available, allowing students the flexibility to choose their own senior electives.
Sample Job Titles
- Business Executive
- Business Owner
- Financial Consultant
- Market Research Analyst
Possible Job Settings
- Advertising Agencies
- International Companies
- Government Agencies
- Non-Profit Organizations
- See More
Business Administration Graduate Profile – Class of 2018
Average Starting Salary: $50,157
Employment & Graduate School Rate: 95% (12 mo.)
Top Hiring Companies:
All Business Administration majors gain industry experience through internships, and will take a pre-internship class to help them find and apply for a qualified internship. SPU students have held internships at leading local businesses and industries such as Starbucks, Boeing, Microsoft, the Seattle Mariners, and Merrill Lynch.
In addition to the required internship for Business Administration majors, students may elect to gain even more real-world experience through additional jobs and internships. SPU's Center for Career and Calling offers online internship resources. Students and employers also use SPU's internship and job posting system, Handshake, which is updated weekly.