Skip site navigation and jump to page content StandardLayout


Withdrawal from courses

Withdrawal with official approval during the first week of the quarter will not result in any record of the class on the transcript. Withdrawal with official approval during weeks two through six will result in a “W” appearing on your transcript.

If you do not provide proper written notification to Student Academic Services, financial obligations will remain binding, regardless of whether classes were attended or whether any of the contracted services were utilized.

Whatever the situation, you should communicate your intent to your advisor and instructor. Before dropping a course, consider the percentage of refund for which you are eligible and any impacts on your financial aid package, if applicable. If you fail to withdraw through SAS by the end of the withdrawal period (see the University Calendar for specific dates), the instructor will issue the grade you earned.

Complete withdrawal (PDF) requests or course drop (PDF) requests may be mailed, faxed to 206-281-2669, or delivered in person to SAS.

Administrative withdrawals requested by instructors

If the instructor or advisor receives notification that you will not be attending, the instructor may contact Student Academic Services and request that you be administratively withdrawn from the course.

Also, if you do not attend class within the first two days of the quarter, an instructor may ask SAS to administratively withdraw you from the class. If you know that you will miss the first class, notify the instructor to avoid being withdrawn from the class.

Administrative withdrawals requested by SFS

Student Financial Services has the right to have a student completely withdrawn from classes due to an unpaid balance.

Complete withdrawal from school

If you desire to withdraw from school, you must submit a written request for a complete withdrawal (PDF) or withdraw via the web by 11:59 p.m. on the fifth day of the quarter.

Refunds and adjustments to your student account are governed by the financial policies in Costs and Financial Aid. If you register but do not attend classes, you must notify SAS in writing to cancel your registration and related charges. The date this notice is received will determine the amount of refund where applicable.

If you fail to withdraw through SAS by the end of the sixth week of the quarter, you will receive the grade earned.

Parking refunds

To be eligible for a refund of parking fees, you must inform the Office of Safety and Security. Parking refunds are calculated in accordance with the tuition refund policy.