Four registration options are available to you (procedures for registration vary from program to program):

  1. In person in Student Academic Services (SAS). In person registrations must be received in the SAS office by 4 p.m. on the day of a registration deadline.
  2. Via fax at 206-281-2669. Faxed registrations must be received in the SAS office by 4 p.m. on the day of a registration deadline.
  3. Via mail to Student Academic Services, 3307 Third Avenue West, Suite 113, Seattle, Washington 98119. Mailed  registrations must be received in the SAS office by 4 p.m. on the day of a registration deadline.
  4. Online via the Banner Information System. The fifth and 10th day online registration deadlines are at 11:59 p.m. on the day of the published deadline.

Check with your program’s graduate coordinator regarding procedures for registration.

Registration on the Web

SPU offers undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, graduate, and doctoral students the opportunity to register for classes through Banner.

Registration deadlines are published in the University Academic Calendar. Matriculated graduate and doctoral students may register online for courses with regular registration deadlines until 11:59 p.m. on the fifth day of the quarter. 

There are some select graduate and doctoral level courses that have an extended registration deadlines of the tenth day of the quarter. These courses would include Independent Studies, Master’s Thesis, and Dissertation credits. Students have until 11:59 p.m. on the tenth day of the quarter to register online for courses with an extended registration deadline.

The refund, if there is one, will be determined by the date the withdrawal statement is received.

Adding and dropping classes

Students are permitted to add courses with the regular registration deadline online until 11:59 p.m. on the fifth day of the quarter. Courses with extended registration deadlines (see above) have an online registration deadline of the 10th day of the quarter at 11:59 p.m.

Students are able to drop classes online through the 10th day of the quarter. Withdrawal from a course between weeks two and seven of the quarter will be noted with a "W" (withdrawal) on the transcript. The final deadline for withdrawing from courses is the seventh week of the quarter.  Read complete information here about withdrawing from a course or withdrawing completely from the University.

Students may not attend or sit in classes unless officially registered.

A primary function of the Registrar's Office is to uphold academic integrity by ensuring that records of a student's course registration, course completion, and grades are accurate and comprehensive. Therefore, academic history data are not subject to erasure by request under the European Union General Data Protection Regulations or any other regulation.

Specific dates for these registration deadlines are listed in the University Academic Calendar. Students who are receiving financial assistance are encouraged to speak to a Student Financial Services representative before making a change in course load.


A person who wishes to attend class but who does not desire credit is an auditor. With approval from the instructor, auditors may register to audit most 6000-level and many 7000-level courses. Students who are unable to remain at the University because of low grades, and new applicants who do not qualify for admission, may not register as auditors.

Students do not receive credit for an audited course. A student may receive credit for an audited course only by enrolling in it as a regular student in a subsequent quarter. Auditors may neither participate in class discussions nor take examinations. If they do daily assignments, the instructor is under no obligation to read or correct them.

Courses that are audited do not count toward financial aid. Tuition rates for auditors will be equal to the regular tuition credit rate for the program in which the course is offered.

Students must register to audit a course in person in Student Academic Services in Demaray Hall 151 before 4:30 p.m. on the fifth day of the quarter, as published in the University Academic Calendar.

Pass/no-credit option

  • A “P” grade in this option must be at least equivalent to a “C” grade (2.0).
  • 6000- and 7000-level courses may not be taken for P/NC, with the exception of thesis, dissertation, research, and projects, to be determined at the discretion of the academic school or department.
  • If a course carries the P/NC option, students may register for that option in person in Student Academic Service, Demaray Hall 151, by completing a P/NC form no later than 4:30 p.m. on the tenth day of the quarter.

Waitlisting closed classes

As a graduate student, you have the option of waitlisting, via Banner, any classes that are full. If a spot opens up for you, Banner will generate an email to your SPU email address with a deadline for you to take action on your registration. Typically, this deadline will be 24 hours; however, it may be extended for breaks.

When Banner emails you, if you still want the spot in the course, you must access your own registration in Banner and add yourself to the course. If you miss your window to register for the course you will need to re-add yourself to the waitlist. When you re-add yourself you will be added to the bottom of the waitlist. With few exceptions, the waitlist works on a first come, first served basis.

The automated process that generates emails to waitlisted students begins running after the scheduled "buffer week" (the week after registration for continuing students) and goes through 11:59 p.m. on the fifth day of the quarter. Refer to the University Calendar for these dates.

If you have questions about the waitlist process, contact Student Academic Services at or 206-281-2031.

Independent study

Independent study courses are courses in which a student does specific work independently with an instructor, as outlined in the official Independent Study Agreement (PDF).  Independent studies are primarily intended as an opportunity for you to study a topic not covered in an actual course in the University Catalog. Only matriculated students at Seattle Pacific University may register for independent study.

The Independent Study form must be completed by you and signed by the instructor and the dean or department chair. You and the instructor must meet on a regular basis for the number of consultations noted in the agreement. Work for an independent study occurs outside of the classroom setting.

An independent study should be created only when a needed class is not available for a particular quarter, or when a student cannot accommodate a class in his or her schedule. Students should not attend a class being offered and use that as part of the independent-study credits.

Registration for an independent study must be submitted to Student Academic Services no later than the 10th day of the quarter (see the University Academic Calendar for specific dates). Student Academic Services will create the course as noted on the agreement. Copies of the agreement will be forwarded to you and the instructor.

Non-matriculated students

If you are not seeking a degree at Seattle Pacific, but wish to take courses, you may be able to do so as a non-matriculated student. Below are policies related to non-matriculated students:

  • There is no application fee to become non-matriculated.
  • If a student decides to pursue a degree or certificate program at SPU, he or she is required to go through the normal admissions process.
  • No more than 45 credits taken as a non-matriculated student may apply toward an undergraduate degree.
  • No more than 15 such credits may be applied to a post-baccalaureate degree.
  • The maximum credit load per quarter is 18 credits.
  • Registration for non-matriculated students takes place after matriculated students have had a chance to register. Registration dates for non-matriculated students are listed in the Academic Calendar.
  • By enrolling in undergraduate courses at SPU, students agree to comply with the expectations, policies, and procedures in the Graduate Student Handbook (PDF), including the behavioral expectations.
  • Non-matriculated students are not eligible to receive financial aid and will pay regular tuition for courses on a per-credit basis.
  • Veterans may not be able to receive benefits through the G.I. Bill®.
  • Non-matriculated international students who are non-native English speakers* must submit an acceptable official English proficiency test score to Student Academic Services in Demaray Hall 151 in order to register for classes. In addition, they must submit required government documentation to International Student Services no later than the first day of the quarter in which they are enrolled.
  • Non-matriculated students are not eligible to participate in clubs or student government organizations.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

To register as a non-matriculated student, complete the Registration Form for Non-Matriculated Students (PDF) and submit to Student Academic Services (SAS) to be processed.

This form asks for directory information, your social security number, your date of birth, requested courses, and your signature. It is important to indicate all current contact information so that the student may receive information from SPU departments. The University will review the completed form to determine whether you will be permitted to take courses as a non-matriculated student.

Course offerings can be found in the Time Schedule. Students should note that some courses may not be available to non-matriculated students and/or that some courses may have registration restriction or required prerequisites.

*SPU considers an international student to be a native English speaker if both their primary and secondary education took place in Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, or the U.S. (other than Puerto Rico).