New Student Advising FAQs

New Seattle Pacific University students at orientation
Questions are always welcome!  Contact us:, or 206-281-2575.

What if I can’t travel to SPU for New Student Advising?

You can arrange for Direct Registration or a phone appointment. Remember that for phone appointments, we give scheduling priority to students living three or more hours from campus.

How do I log into Banner, Canvas, or the Seattle Pacific portal?

Visit the CIS HelpDesk for instructions and assistance.

How do I receive the Direct Registration Survey?

For students who sign up for the Direct Registration Option prior to April 1, you will receive a link to the Direct Registration Survey by email on or around April 1.  For those students who sign up after April 1, the survey link will be provided directly in your sign-up confirmation email.  This happens because next year's catalog and time schedule are not finalized until April 1.

How long is an NSA session?

  • Direct registration takes very little of your time. You’ll need to fill out your Direct Registration Survey, and then review your schedule to confirm it once we send it to you. Both items can be done at a time that is most convenient for you
  • On-campus sessions with a faculty or staff advisor: Usually one hour. Check-in times are 9, 10, or 11 a.m., or 1, 2 or 3 p.m. You’ll receive your assigned check-in time by email about two weeks before your NSA session.
  • Phone appointments: About one hour.

What happens during on-campus sessions?

In addition to your scheduled appointment time with an advisor, you’ll receive a checklist of things you can accomplish while you’re on campus. And the more you do, the easier it will be when you check in for New Student Orientation in the fall. Examples:

  • Turn in health history forms
  • Ask housing questions.
  • Visit the Center for Learning and Disability Support to learn more about their services.
  • Visit Student Financial Services to receive more information on financial aid, student accounts, and student employment.

Where on campus is NSA?

While you may visit multiple buildings, most sessions (including advising and registration) are in Demaray Hall -- the building with the large clock tower.

Should I bring my parents or other support people?

Some students like to bring a support person, while others benefit from a bit of independence. You'll know what fits you best. Unlike family events (Preview, Orientation), NSA focuses on getting you advised, registered, and prepared for your first quarter’s class schedule.

What are official transcripts?

To be considered official, a transcript or score report must arrive at SPU in its original sealed envelope. It can be dropped off, but it must be unopened.  Transcripts must come from the school or agency granting credit.  This means we cannot transfer college-level credit from a high school transcript.  So if you've completed Running Start or College in the High School credits, you'll need to request a transcript directly from the college providing credit.

What if I have questions or concerns after the session?

At on-campus sessions, staff are available throughout the day to help address any questions or concerns.
For any type of NSA you should feel welcome to connect with us at any time.  We are open during SPU’s normal business hours, year-round.

I need special assistance. How do I request accommodations?

Disability Support Services, located in the Center for Learning, provides support to students with physical, medical, psychological, or learning disabilities, or a short-term need due to injury.

Contact Disability Support Services to arrange a meeting to discuss the disability and accommodations required. Submit your current disability documentation and written request for services at least three weeks before your first quarter at SPU.

Special accommodations for your New Student Advising session must be arranged through Disability Support Services at least two weeks prior to your session.

Contact Disability Support Services by email at or call 206-281-2475.