Non-Matriculated Students

If you are not seeking a degree at Seattle Pacific, but wish to take courses, you may be able to do so as a non-matriculated student. Below are policies related to non-matriculated students:

  • There is no application fee to become non-matriculated.
  • If a student decides to pursue a degree or certificate program at SPU, he or she is required to go through the normal admissions process.
  • No more than 12 credits taken as a non-matriculated student may apply toward a professional advancement certificate or graduate degree program, and some programs allow fewer. Work closely with your program advisor to determine how many credits taken as a non-matriculated student will apply to your program..
  • The maximum credit load per quarter is 6 credits.
  • Registration for non-matriculated students takes place after matriculated students have had a chance to register. Registration dates for non-matriculated students are listed in the Academic Calendar.
  • By enrolling in graduate courses at SPU, students agree to comply with the expectations, policies, and procedures in the Graduate Student Handbook (PDF), including the behavioral expectations.
  • Non-matriculated students are not eligible to receive financial aid and will pay regular tuition for courses on a per-credit basis.
  • Veterans may not be able to receive benefits through the G.I. Bill®.
  • Non-matriculated international students who are non-native English speakers* must submit an acceptable official English proficiency test score to Student Academic Services in Demaray Hall 151 in order to register for classes. In addition, they must submit required government documentation to International Student Services no later than the first day of the quarter in which they are enrolled.
  • Non-matriculated students are not eligible to participate in clubs or student government organizations.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

To register as a non-matriculated student, complete the Registration Form for Non-Matriculated Students (PDF) and submit to Student Academic Services (SAS) to be processed.