Follow Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have questions about the graduate programs in SPU’s School of Education? Check here to find answers to frequently asked questions. If your question is not answered here, contact, call 206-281-2091, 800-601-0603, or visit

How selective is admission to the SPU School of Education graduate degree programs?

This varies by program. Admission to some programs, such as the Master in Teaching Mathematics and Science (MTMS) and Alternative Routes to Certification (ARC), is very competitive. Admission to each of SPU’s graduate programs in education is standards-based, and all applicants must meet all standards for admission.

Can I continue to work while enrolled in a graduate degree program in the SPU School of Education?

Yes, in most cases. Most of the graduate degree programs offered by the School of Education are part-time programs, with classes offered in a variety of worker-friendly venues. Education graduate courses are scheduled at SPU or off campus, in the evenings, occasionally on Saturdays, and during the summer.

The Alternative Routes to Certification/MA in Teaching (ARC/MAT) and Master in Teaching Mathematics and Science (MTMS) programs are exceptions. They are one-year full-time programs due to their full-time internships.

Is it possible to complete a graduate degree from SPU's School of Education online?

Students living outside the Puget Sound area may be able to participate in the ARC-Online or MTMS-Online program. Please review the program pages to see if you are eligible.

Is a graduate program at SPU more expensive than comparable education programs at other universities?

SPU’s graduate tuition rates are competitive with other accredited universities in Washington.

How does a graduate degree or graduate certificate from SPU compare with a similar degree or certificate from other universities?

SPU’s School of Education has been offering a wide range of fully accredited master's and doctoral degrees in addition to graduate certificates for more than 20 years. SPU’s reputation in P–12 education in Washington is strong, and students who complete our graduate degree and certificate programs enjoy a higher rate of employment than the state’s average.

What is the “edTPA,” and is it a requirement for educators in Washington?

The term edTPA stands for “educative” Teacher Performance Assessment, and the edTPA is a preservice assessment process designed to measure teacher candidate effectiveness in the classroom by focusing on student learning.

As of 2021, the edTPA is no longer a requirement to earn a teaching certificate in the state of Washington. However, educator-preparation programs must use an internal assessment process to verify a teaching candidate’s preparedness before recommending them for certification. Graduates from SOE’s Teacher Education programs — no more than six years from their year of graduation — who are seeking a residency teaching certificate, must contact the program chair to schedule a meeting to discuss the process. Please note: The process may include and is not limited to the completion of an ePortfolio, recorded presentation, and a Professional Growth Plan.

Back to the top