Frequently Asked Questions

Falcon Card FAQ

How do I obtain a Falcon Card?

To obtain a Falcon Card:

Step 1: An approved photo must be submitted in the GET Mobile app. Navigate to the Settings tab and select "Update Photo" being sure to select a passport-style photo that meets all photo requirements. Once reviewed by our staff you will receive an email to your email address notifying you whether your photo was approved or disapproved.

Step 2: A digital Falcon Card Request Form must be completed. 

Step 3: Finally you will need to schedule an appointment with Falcon Card Services to receive your card. (Note that you must be signed in to O365 with your SPU username and password to access the Bookings site.)

What do I need to provide in order to obtain a Falcon Card?

Some form of valid government-issued photo identification is required to obtain your first Falcon Card. Passport, driver license, military id, state id, or other similar government issued forms of photo identification are acceptable. Please contact us if you are unsure whether or not your form of identification will be accepted. 

Can I have my preferred or professional name printed on my Falcon Card?

As your official campus identification, all Falcon Cards must display your legal name. However, you are welcome to report a preferred name in Banner to ensure that name is displayed in many publicly facing places. For instructions on how to select a preferred name in Banner please see CIS's Wiki page Change Your System Display Name.

What do I do if my Falcon Card is lost, stolen, or visibly damaged?

If your Falcon Card has been lost or stolen you should immediately log into your Falcon Card Account and select “I Lost My Card” from the right-hand menu. This temporarily deactivates your card and prevents it from being used maliciously when out of your possession. If you are certain your card is gone we can issue you a replacement card at a cost of $25. If you think you may be able to locate your card you can utilize the GET app version of your card which allows access to your meal plan only at most dining locations until you find the physical card. If your lost card is found it can be marked as found in the GET app and resume use as long as a replacement card has not been issued. To mark as found, log into your Falcon Card Account and select “I Found My Card” from the right-hand menu. You can also contact University Services for help at 206-281-2693 or

If you need to replace your Falcon Card, please follow these steps:

Step 1: Note that the current photo on file (as submitted and approved in the GET Mobile app) will be used when printing a card. If you would like a new photo on your Replacement Falcon Card, be sure to submit a new photo and wait for approval before moving on to Step 2.

Step 2: Complete a digital Falcon Card Request Form. Please be sure you mark Replacement Falcon Card and note that your SFS student account will be charged the replacement card fee.

Step 3Schedule an appointment with Falcon Card Services to pick up your replacement card. 

What information is stored on my card?

The only information stored on the chip of your Falcon Card is your name and SPU ID number. No other personal or financial information is stored on your card.

Can I wear a funny hat or pose with a friend for my Falcon Card photo?

No, the Falcon Card acts as your identification card and its photo must show a clear, full-faced, unobstructed frontal view of you. You should have a natural expression, with eyes open and looking directly ahead. Smiling is allowed! See our photo requirements here.

My card is damaged/broken/cracked/went through the washer/etc. What do I do?

Schedule a replacement card appointment with Falcon Card Services then complete a Falcon Card Request Form online requesting a replacement falcon card. Take your broken or damaged card to your appointment and a replacement card will be issued at a cost of $25(charged to your SFS Student Account).

Do I get a new Falcon Card every year?

No. If well cared for, your Falcon Card will last you throughout your time at SPU. If your card is damaged, lost, or stolen, you will need to request a replacement card.

I have a dual role at SPU (staff and student, or faculty and staff, etc.). Do I get two Falcon Cards?

No, a person can only carry one Falcon Card at a time. We call each of your roles at SPU a “patron type” and our system lists them in a hierarchy. Whichever role falls higher in the hierarchy will be the card you are issued.

If you find yourself in a dual role at SPU, please contact Falcon Card Services so we can determine if you need a new card.

Can I get a new picture for my card?

A new photo can be uploaded online, but only as a part of the replacement card process, which carries a $25 fee. See the instructions above (in "What do I do if my Falcon Card is lost or stolen?") for obtaining a replacement card.

Your Falcon Card is for identification purposes. Do not in any way tamper with your card. Your name, I.D. number, and picture must be visible. If that information is not visible on your Falcon Card, it will not be accepted at campus locations.

What should I do if my building access stops working?

If your Falcon Card has been damaged, which can cause access problems, you should first come to University Services to get a replacement card (which carries a $25 fee). If your card is not damaged you will need to visit the Office of Safety and Security (OSS) to verify that your access permissions are correct and active. All access is administered through OSS.

Do I need to have my Falcon Card to use my meal plan in Gwinn?

Yes. You must have your Falcon Card for entrance with a meal plan into Gwinn Commons Dining Hall. You also need your Falcon Card for meal plan access at all other dining locations.

What do I do if I have legally changed my name?

Your first step is to contact the Office of the Registrar and have your name updated in Banner. It takes 24 hours for Banner changes to take effect and for the change to be communicated to the Falcon Card system. After 24 hours have passed, you may submit a Falcon Card Request Form online and schedule a replacement card appointment to obtain a new Falcon Card at no charge.

Can I punch a hole in my Falcon Card and hang it from a lanyard or key chain?

No! Your card contains a proximity chip and wiring that coils throughout the card. Punching a hole in your card could render it useless and cost you $25 to replace. The bookstore carries a variety of card holders for sale and we would encourage you to use one of those instead.

Can I leave my Falcon Card in my phone wallet or phone case while charging my phone on a wireless charger?

You should never leave your Falcon Card between your cell phone and wireless charger while charging. Manufacturers of wireless phone chargers warn against leaving anything between your phone and charger when in use as it may reduce performance or damage magnetic strips or RFID chips in some cards like your Falcon Card. They instruct users to remove items like these from their phone or case before placing on the charger. Please consult your wireless charger manufacturer's website or manual for more information. Any damage to your Falcon Card deemed by Falcon Card Services to have been caused by a wireless charger will result in the need for a replacement card at your cost.


Falcon Funds FAQ

What are Falcon Funds?

Falcon Funds are SPU’s official campus currency, which can be used around campus to purchase food at our many dining locations (tax free), or to make non-dining purchases at the Bookstore, Mailing Services, at printers/copiers around campus, in residence hall laundry rooms, at most campus vending machines, and with the Outdoor Recreation Program (ORP) in the Student Union Building. See the Terms and Conditions for full details on Falcon Funds.

How do I add money (Falcon Funds) to my Falcon Card?

Falcon Funds can be added to your Falcon Card by logging into your Falcon Card account and charging them to a credit card (Visa and MasterCard only, fees apply) or to your Student Financial Services account. Falcon Funds will appear on your Falcon Card immediately and can be used immediately. If you charged your Falcon Funds to your SFS account, the charge should appear on your account within the next business day.

Can I use my smart phone to add Falcon Funds or check my account balance?

Yes! Download the “GET Mobile” app for free from the iTunes or Android store. Please note that the app has very generic purchase information but all transactions made on the app are subject to our Terms and Conditions. The app can be used to add Falcon Funds and to track both falcon funds and meal plans.

Can I use my Falcon Funds to purchase things online?

No, Falcon Funds cannot be used online.

Can my parents add money to my Falcon Card?

Absolutely. They can click on any link for “Falcon Card Account” on our website and select the “Parents, Guardians or other Relatives” option. From there they can add Falcon Funds to your Falcon Card using a credit card (Visa and MasterCard only, fees apply).

How many Falcon Funds should I put on my card?

This really depends on the student. We suggest you think about all the services that take Falcon Funds and consider how often you will use them.

Here are the places you can use Falcon Funds:


What you may want to buy

SPU Bookstore

    If you don’t order books online, your parents may want to add Falcon Funds to your Falcon Card so you can buy books and school supplies. The bookstore will not accept a parent’s personal check or credit card unless the parent is present. Students can research book costs online to determine how many Falcon Funds they may need.

Dining locations

    If you run out of Dining Dollars on your meal plan, or if you’re on a block plan and also want to eat at retail locations, you can Falcon Funds for dining.

Vending machines

    Snack and drink vending machines are available in common areas and in residence halls. Most take Falcon Funds.

Laundry facilities

    If you live in a residence hall, you can use Falcon Funds in the hall’s laundry facilities.

Mailing Services

Copying and printing

    To make personal copies or print at the multi-function printers around campus, you will need Falcon Funds. Note: Students receive free print credits. Learn about them here. When print credits are gone, you will need Falcon Funds. 

Outdoor Recreation Program (ORP)

Is it possible to have and use my Falcon Card without fees?

Yes, your initial Falcon Card is issued to you free of charge. As long as you take good care of it, it should last you throughout your time at SPU. You can load Falcon Funds onto your card without fees by selecting the “Bill Me” option and then paying your SFS bill by check or cash. There is no fee when you seek a refund once you separate from the University. All our fees are associated with replacement cards, temporary cards, and credit card fees, which can all be avoided.

How do I check my balance or see my past transactions?

Your Falcon Card account not only tracks Falcon Funds but also meal plans (weekly meal plan swipes, Dining Dollars, and block plan usage) and can provide both balances and transaction history information. The “GET Mobile” app also allows for tracking of balances (see above). Transaction reports can also be requested in person from the Office of University Services.

How can I check my student’s balance or see his/her transactions?

FERPA law prohibit us from giving out information on a student’s account or transaction history. You must work with your student to get the information you need.

How do I get a refund?

You may request a refund of any remaining Falcon Funds at any time within three years following your separation from the university (by graduating, withdrawing, or terminating your employment). Refund requests should be sent to:

SPU-Falcon Card Services
3307 3rd Ave. W., Suite 312
Seattle, WA 98119

Or email a request from your SPU email address to Include your name, SPU ID number, and a current address in your request.

All refunds are processed by check in the name of the cardholder or by direct deposit, at the option of the University. Checks will be mailed within four weeks of a refund request. After three years, any unclaimed Falcon Funds are turned over the state of Washington as unclaimed property. Falcon Funds are nontransferable.

I have a really small Falcon Funds balance on my Falcon Card. Can I still use it?

Yes! Please try to spend down your small balances prior to leaving SPU. At any location that uses a cash register (Dining locations, Bookstore, or Mailing) you can do split payments. This allows you to use up the balance on your Falcon Card and cover any shortage with cash or a credit card.

My balance is really low. Should I bother requesting a refund?

Any amount of Falcon Funds, no matter how small, not claimed within three years of separation is considered abandoned property by Washington state, and SPU is required to go through a lengthy process to turn them over. As a result, we work very hard to clean up all accounts and will attempt to contact you. We have created an option for you to donate your balance to SPU (as a non-tax deductible donation). We encourage everyone to either use up all their Falcon Funds before separating, request a refund, or donate their balance, no matter how small.


What are Debit Dollars and Advantage Points?

In the past SPU had separate campus currencies for Dining and non-Dining purchases. In 2015, Falcon Funds were created to replace those two currencies and become the single official campus currency of SPU.

How do I load a Weekly Meal Plan, Block Plan or Meal Swipes on my Falcon Card?

Weekly Meal Plans, Block Plans, Meal Swipes, and Dining Dollars are a part of SPU meal plans and are administered and managed by Housing and Meal Plan Services. Visit their website for more information or email with questions.

How do Falcon Funds relate to Dining Dollars?

Dining Dollars are a part of weekly block meal plans and are only used for the purchase of food/meals at dining locations. Dining Dollars are subject to different terms and conditions. Students on a weekly meal plan may still want to add Falcon Funds to their Falcon Cards because they have run out of Dining Dollars and wish to purchase food/meals — or because they wish to use Falcon Funds for non-dining purchases.

I am having trouble with the Falcon Card Account website (administered through GET Funds).

Often this can be solved by switching browsers. We have the best luck with Firefox and Chrome. GET Funds is not supported on Internet Explorer. If you continue to have trouble please contact Falcon Card Services at


Parent Questions?

You know parents — always full of questions! That's all good because we have answers!

The Loop

Find Your Way

Get directions to SPU, and find your way once you’re here with the campus map and campus accessibility map.