Faculty and staff: Let us help you plan your
commute to and from work. We’ll help you take advantage of subsidies that
encourage the use of alternative transportation, and we’ll help you
customize your route.
Commute Trip Reduction Incentives
SPU Employee ORCA Card
ORCA cards are available to all Seattle Pacific University employees who use alternative transportation as part of their commute at least three days a week. This card provides unlimited access to Sound, Community, Metro, Kitsap, Everett, and Pierce Transit bus services as well as to the Sounder Train from Tacoma to Everett and the Link Light Rail.
2020-2021 ORCA cards are now available for employees.
Employees with last year's ORCA card can renew their existing card by completing the Faculty Staff CTR Participation Form and ORCA Agreement.
New cards can be picked up at the Office of Safety and Security any weekday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. after submitting the required forms. Due to safety protocols, we ask that you call ahead to let us know when you plan to arrive. When you do arrive, please wear a face covering and observe social distancing guidelines.
We realize that COVID-19 has affected many employees’ work arrangements and commuting practices. If you choose to wait to renew or acquire an ORCA card, please plan to contact the Office of Safety and Security with ample time before you need the card to allow for processing of the necessary forms.
The SPU ORCA card reflects our efforts to strongly encourage and subsidize employee use of transit and other commute reduction strategies. An annual fee of $25 will be charged as a one-time payroll deduction transaction.
If you have any questions regarding the ORCA card or SPU’s Commute Trip Reduction program, or if you would like more information on developing an alternative commute, contact the Transportation Manager at Transportation@spu.edu or 206-281-2821.
Commute Trip Reduction Options
The following are the various Commute Trip Reduction options that we are offering this year to all regular, full-time University employees (at least .8 FTE or 32 hours a week), who do not live on campus and who utilize an alternative form of transportation at least three days a week:
- ORCA card: With the SPU ORCA card you receive unlimited access to Sound, Community, Metro, Kitsap, Everett, and Pierce Transit bus service as well as to the Sounder Train from Tacoma to Everett and the Link Light Rail. A bus or connector van can complete your commute from King Street Station to the SPU campus.
- VanPool: $75 of the monthly fare will be covered through your ORCA card for Community, Kitsap, Metro, and Pierce Transit vanpool vans. Also, riders qualify for five single-day parking passes each quarter for days when they drive alone.
- VanShare: Metro VanShare provides a van to groups of five or more SPU community commuters connecting them to buses, trains, or ferries at no cost to eligible SPU employees. The University will also provide five single-day parking passes per person each quarter for days when they drive alone.
- Carpool: A two-person SPU community rider carpool receives a reserved carpool parking space at half the cost of the annual parking fee. A reserved parking space is free to carpools of three or more people.
- Ferry: The University will provide a subsidy of up to $35 per month, if you carpool, walk, or bike onto the ferry. Public transit, a vanpool, or a vanshare can complete your commute to SPU.
- Bicycling/walking: Many University employees live within bicycling and walking distance of campus. To encourage this type of commuting, the University offers free lockers and access to showers at Royal Brougham Pavilion for those full-time employees who will be biking or walking to work at least three days per week. Bikers are encouraged to use Bike Index, an online searchable database that is used to identify stolen bikes and assist police with the recovery of stolen property. Users can register their bike for free at www.bikeindex.org .
- Zipcar: Zipcar is a car-sharing company that rents cars by the hour. SPU faculty and staff that routinely bicycle, walk, bus, or carpool to work may use the campus Zipcars for free for up to 12 hours per month to run personal errands of 2 hours or less during the workday. *Zipcar has notified SPU that it may not be providing cars on campus this summer or fall. SPU is in discussion with Zipcar about this, and we’ll provide more information at a later time.
- Guaranteed Ride Home: SPU offers emergency taxi service to commuters arriving at work by an alternative mode (bus, carpool, vanshare/pool, bicycle or walking). You can use the service up to eight times per calendar year. Rides are limited to 60 miles one-way. If you require this service, please contact the transportation manager at 206-281-2911.
- Charging Stations for Electric Vehicles: SPU has charging stations on campus available for electric vehicles.
Forms and Information