Visual Arts (BA)


If you are interested in receiving an overview of the visual arts without a professionalized specialization, this is the major for you. This major will provide you with a broad experience of the visual arts and a foundation for a rich, life-long engagement as a creator.

  • A minimum of 66 credits are required for this major, including at least 23 upper-division credits.
  • You do not need to submit a portfolio to enter this major.
  • Pairs well as secondary major or minor due to relatively low credit requirement.
  • This major is well suited to the pursuit of teacher certification, as outlined at the bottom of this page.
  • Participation in a Senior Exhibition is not required for this major.

Entering and Completing the visual Arts major

In order to earn a degree, you must complete at least one academic major. SPU encourages students to explore various academic paths, so if you change your mind about a major or minor, or want to include an additional program, you are able to do so, as outlined below.

Note that the University encourages you to enter your chosen major(s) and minor(s) by the start of your junior year. Students who transfer as juniors and seniors should enter a major within their first two quarters at SPU.

  • You do not need to submit a portfolio to enter this major.
  • If this is your first quarter at SPU and you identified this major as your first choice on your application for admission to the University, you have gained entry to the major. To change or add a major or minor, follow these instructions.
  • If you are an SPU student with an SPU cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better, follow these instructions to enter this major.
  • Students on academic probation (with an SPU cumulative GPA below 2.0) will not be permitted to enter a new major or minor until they regain good academic standing.
  • The University requires a grade of C- or better in all classes that apply to a major or minor; however, programs may require higher minimum grades in specific courses. You may repeat an SPU course only once for a higher grade.
  • To advance in this program, meet with your faculty advisor regularly to discuss your grades, course progression, and other indicators of satisfactory academic progress. If your grades or other factors indicate that you may not be able to successfully complete the major or minor, your faculty advisor can work with you to explore options, which may include choosing a different major or minor.
  • You must complete the major or minor requirements that are in effect in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog for the year you enter the major or minor.

future teachers

Elementary teacher certification

If you plan to obtain elementary Residency Teacher Certification and are interested in teaching art, you must choose the Integrated Studies major with a concentration in art.

  • This concentration includes an Arts core, along with courses in mathematics, physical education, and the natural sciences.
  • The faculty advisor for the Arts concentration, Dr. Andrew Ryder ( 

Secondary teacher certification

If you plan to obtain secondary Residency Teacher Certification with endorsement in art, you should pursue a BA in Art, and you must also complete Requirements for Secondary Certification through the School of Education.

If you plan to become a teacher, visit the School of Education for complete information.

Time Schedule: Art

Course planning

Suggested course sequences help you complete your degree in a timely manner.