While we do not formally endorse any particular local church, we encourage our students to participate in local churches in several ways:
- We host a church fair at the beginning of the year where we invite leaders from local congregations to interact with our students.
- The John Perkins Center partners with ministries and organizations locally and globally so that our students can engage in service and ministry.
- We provide an online church database where students can search for and find information on nearby churches.
Unlike a public university, we recognize that we have been entrusted to care for the spiritual lives of our students, so we take responsibility over ministry-related activities on SPU’s campus. For this reason, the Office of the Chaplain approves faith-related clubs and organizations to meet on campus.
Policies for church and para-church organizations to operate on campus:
- Only organizations approved by the University Chaplain are allowed to meet on campus.
- Churches and para-church organizations are not allowed to hold meetings, whether led by students or not, in the residence halls, which includes Campus Housing and Apartments (CHA).
- If external ministry organizations desire a meeting space on campus, they are to contact Conference Services.
- If external ministry organizations desire to publicize on campus whether in print or in person, they are to contact the Unicom Desk.