Human Development and Family Studies

Programs offered
  • Human Development and Family Studies (major and minor)

Human Development and Family Studies (BA)



The BA in in Human Development and Family Studies offers an interdisciplinary approach to individual and family development across the lifespan, providing opportunities for you to study how people develop physically, cognitively, emotionally and socially within the context of the family and society.

It is a versatile undergraduate degree for anyone who is intrigued by human nature and the forces that help shape it. As a graduate, you will be prepared to work with people in a variety of roles, including social and family services, teaching and education, advocacy and non-profit work, and business and health related careers.

  • A minimum 74 credits are required for this major, including 25 upper-division credits.
  • This major includes elective upper-division coursework in sociology, psychology, and health sciences.
  • This major requires completion of the Family and Consumer Sciences Core, which includes:
    • FCS 1050 Introduction to FCS, completed in your freshman or sophomore year. (If you are a transfer student, you may complete this in your junior year.
    • FCS 3240 Individual and Family Development, completed after FCS 1050.
    • FCS 4899 Senior Capstone, completed after FCS3240, and during your senior year.
  • You may combine this major with the Family and Consumer Sciences Secondary Education major.
  • A minimum of 30 credits are required for the minor, including 15 upper-division credits.

entering and completing the major or minor

In order to earn a degree, you must complete at least one academic major. SPU encourages students to explore various academic paths, so if you change your mind about a major or minor, or want to include an additional program, you are able to do so, as outlined below.

Note that the University encourages you to enter your chosen major(s) and minor(s) by the start of your junior year. Students who transfer as juniors and seniors should enter a major within their first two quarters at SPU.

  • If this is your first quarter at SPU and you identified a major in this department as your first choice on your application for admission to the University, you have gained entry to the major. To change or add a major or minor, follow these instructions.
  • If you are an SPU student with an SPU cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better, follow these instructions to enter a major or minor in this department.
  • Students on academic probation (with an SPU cumulative GPA below 2.0) will not be permitted to enter a new major or minor until they regain good academic standing.
  • The University requires a grade of C- or better in all classes that apply to a major or minor; however, programs may require higher minimum grades in specific courses. You may repeat an SPU course only once for a higher grade.
  • To advance in this program, meet with your faculty advisor regularly to discuss your grades, course progression, and other indicators of satisfactory academic progress. If your grades or other factors indicate that you may not be able to successfully complete the major or minor, your faculty advisor can work with you to explore options, which may include choosing a different major or minor.
  • You must complete the major or minor requirements that are in effect in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog for the year you enter the major or minor.

Students outside talking

Family Consumer Sciences 

Visit Family and Consumer Sciences to see how an FCS degree can help you achieve your goals to make a difference in the world.

Time Schedule: Family Consumer Sciences

Course planning

Suggested course sequences help you complete your degree in a timely manner.