Independent Study

registering for an Independent Study

To register for an independent study, students should work with their supervising instructor to complete the Independent Study Agreement form.

Students should submit their signed Independent Study Agreement to Student Academic Services no later than the 10th day of the quarter.* The student’s supervising instructor and the instructor’s department chair or dean may sign the form or submit their approval via SPU email to

Student Academic Services will create the course as noted on the agreement. A confirmation of registration, along with a copy of the agreement, will be emailed to the student and the supervising instructor.

*See the University Academic Calendar for specific dates.

Completion and Grading of an Independent Study

The student and supervising instructor should meet on a regular basis, according to the number of consultations noted in the agreement. Work for the independent study should take place outside of a classroom setting.

Students will be assessed using Normal Grading (letter grades, A–E) unless another grade mode is mutually agreed upon with their supervising instructor and listed on the Independent Study Agreement. Grades for independent studies will be released at the same time as grades for all other courses, as noted in the University Academic Calendar.