When to Visit Us

Feeling under the weather, but aren’t sure it’s time to see a health care provider? Call us at 206-281-2231 to ask if you should come in, or to schedule an appointment.

You can also contact Health Services with health-related questions through our Secure Messaging Portal. This portal is not monitored on weekends or after clinic hours.

Reasons to see a provider right away

If you’re experiencing these symptoms, give us a call at 206-281-2231, or call your primary health care provider:

  • Vomiting: Unable to keep down fluids for more than 24 hours, unusual color or bloody vomit, associated with severe abdominal pain.
  • Painful, difficult swallowing.
  • Fever.
  • Cough lasting for more than two weeks.
  • Diarrhea with black or bloody stools or symptoms of dehydration (i.e., dry mouth, confusion, decreased urination).
  • Abdominal pain that is severe or persistent.
  • Headache pain that is severe or quick onset, or associated with confusion, dizziness, nausea, numbness, changes in speech, or vision. Or a headache that occurs after an injury to the head.
  • Chest pain: Changes in heart rate or rhythm.
  • Leg pain, especially if associated with swelling, redness, or pain with walking.
  • Menstrual problems.
  • Rashes, especially if associated with fever, discharge, or swelling.
  • Sinus congestion associated with swelling around the eyes, redness around the eyes or vision changes
  • Unexplained weight loss/gain, bleeding, fatigue, dizziness, or abnormal sweating.

If you are unable to see Health Services providers right away, and you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, you should be seen in an area urgent-care center or emergency department, or call your primary care provider’s office for specific advice.

Black-eyed Susans

Because You Care

Sometimes we all need a little help — someone in our SPU community who cares. Here’s a quick way to make a difference in a person’s life, with this online intervention alert form.


The information posted on this website is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified medical professional. Consult a qualified health care provider for medical advice and answers to your personal health questions.